• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ant

Best Answer Will230145 , February 9 2018 - 7:43 PM

YAAAAAAY! THIS IS MY DREAM SPECIES!!! Is there a care sheet on them? Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 10 2018 - 8:26 AM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania
1. Location (on a map) of collection: western Pennsylvania (grove City) US
2. Date of collection: August 29 2017
3. Habitat of collection: in the grass
4. Length (from head to gaster): 9mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: light brown with “yellowish” legs
6. Distinguishing characteristics: quite calm and shy
7. Distinguishing behavior: shy, always awake, and does not mind the light
8. Nest description: the colony I found her fly from was under a stone and looked light brown with a shiny pubescence
9. Nuptial flight time and date: August 29 2017, around 12:00pm

#22 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 10 2018 - 9:53 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Do flavus wait before or after hibernation to lay? Mine waited after hibernation too lay eggs

In most cases, both Lasius flavus and Lasius neoniger (and other related species in temperate regions) tend to wait until after hibernation to lay eggs.

Most ants that fly later in the year wait until spring to lay.

• noebl1 likes this

#23 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 10 2018 - 10:49 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

2. Date of collection: August 29 2017
8. Nest description: the colony I found her fly from was under a stone and looked light brown with a shiny pubescence

So a couple comments here;  If you caught her directly as she flew out from under a stone, she may not have had a chance to mate, so may not be fertile (though I could be misreading #8.)  Also L. neoniger tends to fly from small "volcano" like sand or dirt hills in the flights I've observed. It's not impossible from under a rock I guess as they will occasionally clear out cracks (like between bricks or driveway cracks) from what I've also observed. L. alienus and the L. flavus group tend to fly from under rocks or literally appear from no where from holes in the ground (as they aren't often seen at the surface like L. neoniger.

I did find this from @batspiderfish on Ants Canada forum:

"Lasius alienus will fly July through August. Lasius neoniger, Lasius pallitarsis, Lasius flavus, and Lasius nearcticus will fly August through September and October."

Here's another helpful thread @batspiderfish posted to help ID:

http://forum.antscan...php?f=48&t=2421

Again, pretty much impossible to ID without super clear shots of the head of the mandibles and antenna.

Edited by noebl1, February 10 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#24 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 10 2018 - 11:33 AM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I saw her mate as well, and the colony was under a rock but was having nuptial flight on top of the rock

I tried as best as I could... https://imgur.com/gallery/Bnu2S

Edited by Will230145, February 10 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#25 Offline Zmagz - Posted February 10 2018 - 11:44 AM

Zmagz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I caught my Lasius alienus queen in mid July so i think august may be too late idk

#26 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 10 2018 - 11:47 AM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Lasius alienus have nuptial flights a few months earlier than Neoniger and flavus

#27 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:19 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA
I caught 10 Lasius alienus queens that Batspiderfish identified for me, on August 3rd. By August 13th, all of them had lain a small batch of eggs. But the thing was, the eggs weren’t developing. According to Brian L. Fisher, the myrmecologist who created AntWeb, ants in the San Francisco Bay Area where him and I reside, do not hibernate in winter months as the weather is not cold enough for them to truly hibernate. I didn’t hibernate my Lasius alienus queens, and now all of them have larvae. My theory is that although it doesn’t get cold enough for them to truly hibernate, it still gets cool enough for foraging and egg laying to slow down a little bit. Idk I just thought this was interesting.

Edited by Jadeninja9, February 10 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#28 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:20 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Do you think mine is Lasius alienus?

#29 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:21 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Do you think mine is Lasius alienus?

Mine don’t have bloaded gasters like yours

#30 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:25 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Did they have bloated gasters while laying eggs? I also only have one Queen of whatever this queen is :(

#31 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:35 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Did they have bloated gasters while laying eggs? I also only have one Queen of whatever this queen is :(

Nope they never had bloated gasters

#32 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:36 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Ok, thanks! I don’t think she is alienus.

#33 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:46 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I doubt she is L. alienus based on when you caught it.  I've caught a few L. alienus over the last couple years, and find they tend to fly (here) around sunset, and often catch them at night attracted to lights.  They also seem to fly in July to very early August, and overall they are slightly smaller (especially the gaster) and darker than other Lasius I have caught in the Fall.  Again this isn't necessary a perfect way to ID as not sure if this is universal for every location.  My L. alienus have also laid eggs and had nanitics in the Fall before hibernation.

#34 Offline Will230145 - Posted February 10 2018 - 12:51 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Ok thanks :lol:

#35 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 10 2018 - 1:11 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

I doubt she is L. alienus based on when you caught it. I've caught a few L. alienus over the last couple years, and find they tend to fly (here) around sunset, and often catch them at night attracted to lights. They also seem to fly in July to very early August, and overall they are slightly smaller (especially the gaster) and darker than other Lasius I have caught in the Fall. Again this isn't necessary a perfect way to ID as not sure if this is universal for every location. My L. alienus have also laid eggs and had nanitics in the Fall before hibernation.

Yeah mine actually flew on a very windy/humid day at like 1pm
  • noebl1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users