• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colorado Anting Thread

colorado anting get together

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted July 19 2018 - 1:42 PM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

I build these for any ants that don't like test tubes. Works very well and I can make them very quickly.

43468800322_6cd59c54de_c.jpgLittle ant formicarium by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

41707860810_defbaaa57e_c.jpgLittle ant formicarium by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

• nurbs, piratechef and Gracegarden like this

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#82 Offline piratechef - Posted July 19 2018 - 9:38 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

where do you find those cups? I'm using something similar but with plaster until I can perfect my technique. I have some 4 oz cups I got from work but they are not as see through as those.

#83 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted July 20 2018 - 4:49 AM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

Here are the cups I use.

• piratechef likes this

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#84 Offline Lamarr - Posted July 20 2018 - 8:00 PM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

I build these for any ants that don't like test tubes. Works very well and I can make them very quickly.

43468800322_6cd59c54de_c.jpgLittle ant formicarium by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

41707860810_defbaaa57e_c.jpgLittle ant formicarium by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

Could you tell us the steps you took to make that formicarium? I'm trying to create something similar.

#85 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted July 23 2018 - 2:12 PM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

Yes, all I do is add a layer of Hydrostone to the bottom and then add a tube, then wait for that to dry. Then I add sand of your choice as the negative space, after that I add another tube into the sand and then I pour more hydrostone on top of the sand. Then after 20 mins I take the tube that is in the dirt out, it should just slid out. 

Here is another one I make, just freshly made.

41790692180_3ff48334d0_c.jpgMore ant nests freshly made by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

41790692130_3747354dfa_c.jpgMore ant nests freshly made by Mikhail kujawa, on Flickr

• piratechef likes this

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#86 Offline nick53588 - Posted July 24 2018 - 11:41 AM

nick53588

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, Colorado

Just joined this forum and the Colorado Ant Keepers Facebook group.  I live in Highlands Ranch. I have had some pretty great success in Cheese Ranch. I have more Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis than I know what to do with (all have eggs minus 1), 4 tetramorium that should have workers soon and a couple Lasius Neoniger (I think). I did catch some Lasius Latipes but I don't have a host colony for them and they died almost immediately.  

If people ever want to go exploring on a weekend or evening I would be down.

Founding:

4x Tetramorium

3x Lasius Neoniger

18x Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis

#87 Offline piratechef - Posted July 24 2018 - 1:15 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

I'm a mod of that facebook group. Welcome man. Gonna be headed up to camp dick tomorrow for a all morning hike and hopefully fill my tubes with Formica :) been trying to make it to catch some honeypots before they stop flying also.

PS. good think you got a lot of Pogonomyrmex queens they have been a hard species to found for me. seems like they hate test tubes

#88 Offline nick53588 - Posted July 26 2018 - 6:39 AM

nick53588

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Last night I caught 4 Solenopsis Molesta. The air was just thick with them. Was just before sunset. Also saw a Lasius Latipes colony preparing for Nuptial Flight.

Founding:

4x Tetramorium

3x Lasius Neoniger

#89 Offline Snipcod - Posted July 30 2018 - 6:09 AM

Snipcod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationColorado

Hello all.  Pretty cool to finally find a place to talk and learn about Colorado anting. Could I also get on this email list? I think I may have missed the boat for the year, but would be good none the less.
I picked up two Pavement ant queens yesterday. Looking forward to this new challenge!

Also, I'm in lafayette so it looks like there are quite a few people up this way. 

Edited by Snipcod, July 30 2018 - 6:21 AM.

#90 Offline JackieB - Posted July 30 2018 - 10:47 AM

JackieB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Finally found a "M.mimicus" after doing a little research and also waiting for ever. Lol. (didn't we used to get those desert rain storms almost every day in July and August? Or am I imagining the past 30 or so summer's incorrectly?)
She was in a test tube, which she hated. So I made her a little hydrostone and dirt set up. It is not bad for a first go around, it's the Hyatt of dirt set ups. Moving her was the most stressful event of my life. She went right in found the hole I started for her and went to work. I gave her a little honey for energy. But man, I think it bothered me more than her.
Finally found a "M.mimicus" after doing a little research and also waiting for ever. Lol. (didn't we used to get those desert rain storms almost every day in July and August? Or am I imagining the past 30 or so summer's incorrectly?)
She was in a test tube, which she hated. So I made her a little hydrostone and dirt set up. It is not bad for a first go around, it's the Hyatt of dirt set ups. Moving her was the most stressful event of my life. She went right in found the hole I started for her and went to work. I gave her a little honey for energy. But man, I think it bothered me more than her.
My phone really messed up my previous post, sorry.

#91 Offline Swinferret - Posted July 31 2018 - 7:09 AM

Swinferret

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello fellow coloradans! Anyone anting in the denver/aurora area?

#92 Offline nick53588 - Posted August 5 2018 - 9:00 AM

nick53588

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I live in highlands ranch and work in aurora.

Founding:

4x Tetramorium

3x Lasius Neoniger

#93 Offline Dethundrel - Posted August 23 2018 - 3:12 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
Pogonomymex overload today in Grand Junction. Pretty big Solinopsis Molesta flight as well. Got dozens of each in a matter of minutes.

Edited by Dethundrel, August 23 2018 - 3:12 PM.

#94 Offline smares - Posted August 23 2018 - 6:59 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
Oh I'll keep an eye out! Thanks for the head up!

#95 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted September 20 2018 - 7:35 AM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Hi all -

Just started out, here in Denver CO. I'm just doing a bit of research and buying a colony of lasius this weekend. Very exciting!

Is it 100% too late for any species to fly this year, or is it possible that there might be a late flight still? I'd love to get out there and give it a shot, if so :)

I am also interested in getting queens or colonies, as it seems like starting a few queens/colonies is only marginally harder than starting just 1. So, if anyone has anything to sell/trade i'd be interested! I checked with GAN but haven't heard back from the farmers yet - hopefully soon. 

#96 Offline nick53588 - Posted September 20 2018 - 9:40 AM

nick53588

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hey PaxxMantid, are you on the Facebook group? I am pretty sure I saw you post there. Any who, there are a lot of us who have colonies for trade/sale in that group or will have a bunch soon (waiting for brood to turn to workers). I have a bunch of Pogonomyrmex Colonies that I am willing to get rid of. Waiting on some Lasius to found, but are probably 2-3 weeks away. 

Founding:

4x Tetramorium

3x Lasius Neoniger

#97 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted September 20 2018 - 9:48 AM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Hey PaxxMantid, are you on the Facebook group? I am pretty sure I saw you post there. Any who, there are a lot of us who have colonies for trade/sale in that group or will have a bunch soon (waiting for brood to turn to workers). I have a bunch of Pogonomyrmex Colonies that I am willing to get rid of. Waiting on some Lasius to found, but are probably 2-3 weeks away. 

Yea I'm on there, too. Actually I met someone who is going to hook me up with a Lasius colony this weekend!

#98 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted November 6 2018 - 9:34 AM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

BTW, what's this mailing list I saw mentioned here? I am excited to go and collect some queens for the first time, but I think I missed the season this year. It would be awesome to find a way to get alerted when there is a a flight of any species - is that what goes on with the list? Can i join?

#99 Offline Dethundrel - Posted February 16 2019 - 2:26 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
It’s about time to start thinkin about the 2019 anting season. I’m curious if any of our fellow Colorado anters have a reliable place to find some Prenolepis imparis?

I am on the Western Slope, Grand Junction to be specific. I have never seen any of them around here or up in the mountains. I’m not sure if they are at my elevation or if I’ve just been unlucky.

I’m willing to travel or cover any costs for shipping and your time if anyone is able to get a hold of a decent amount of them, just let me know.

#100 Offline smares - Posted May 4 2019 - 11:30 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
Anyone found any queens yet this year?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colorado, anting, get together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users