• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colorado Anting Thread

colorado anting get together

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Dethundrel - Posted June 16 2018 - 1:08 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado
Tetramorium had a decent flight on the western slope today. In a matter of 5 minutes had 14 of then just on the sidewalk and back patio at my house in Grand Junction. This wasn’t even their huge flight yet. Tonight and tomorrow are supposed to be big rain days. Hope it will push out some other species.

#62 Offline smares - Posted June 17 2018 - 12:57 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado

How many Tetramorium is too many Tetramorium? asking for a friend. #ants anonymous

#63 Offline smares - Posted June 23 2018 - 8:58 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Does anyone know what time of day solenopsis fly? I've seen dead alates so I know they are flying.

#64 Offline Waganga - Posted June 28 2018 - 8:02 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

:D  :D Found a Formica Argentea queen at the Westminster Rec Center yesterday evening! She's already laid one egg! I thought they wouldn't fly till the middle/end of July, but I guess they're showing a little early this year? Maybe it was the 100 degree weather yesterday. Going to be keeping a close eye on those in my back yard - they've been dumping roly poly corpses outside their nest in droves, so they're consuming a lot of protein. Hoping to catch some more! 

• piratechef likes this

#65 Offline piratechef - Posted June 28 2018 - 11:17 AM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

Finally catching some Pogonomyrmex queens! Up to four now. Nice find on that Formica Waganga!

• Waganga likes this

#66 Offline Waganga - Posted July 2 2018 - 6:56 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Finally catching some Pogonomyrmex queens! Up to four now. Nice find on that Formica Waganga!

If anyone is interested in Pogonomyrmex and not finding any, the parks in Thornton and Northglenn, are crawling with them right now! I went for a 2 mile walk yesterday, and picked up 3 within the first 25 feet. Then, I walked 25 more feet, and picked up two more. Then, I walked 25 more feet, and realized that I would run out of test tubes if I picked up every single one I saw!  :lol:

I also saw a couple of alates with no abdomen left.  :blink: It was so weird to see them still alive and running around looking for someplace to found... Kinda sad, too. I feel like, maybe I should have squashed them instead of just passing by...  :thinking:

#67 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 3 2018 - 5:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Pogonomyrmex and Tetramorium all the live long day! 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#68 Offline Jake - Posted July 3 2018 - 6:13 AM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Saw another Tetramorium swarm last night here in north colorado springs :)

#69 Offline smares - Posted July 3 2018 - 8:41 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
How does one go about finding other species?

#70 Offline Jake - Posted July 3 2018 - 8:45 AM

Jake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Walk around out side in the evening. :)

#71 Offline JackieB - Posted July 3 2018 - 10:01 AM

JackieB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

So cool there are so many Colorado people on here! I've been getting very strange looks while out ant hunting and was beginning to think I was the only o e in Denver doing this. I'm in South Denver (almost Cenntenial) and go to school in N. Aurora near Sand Creek. I just started keeping ants and have been shocked how many I found. I have about 14 queens(Tetramorium and Pogonomyrmex). I have my Pogonomyrmex ladies in a tubes and tub set-up cause I want sure if they were fully claustral or not. They seem okay so far but it's only been one day.

I'm hoping to find a Myrmecocystus queen this year. I was reading that Mymecocystus colonies are often near Pogonomyrmex. I guess the Myrmecocystus ants like to eat the discarded, dead Pogonomyrmex's (lovely).

Any tips for finding Myrmecocystus queens? It rained late last night so I was going to try a light trap tonight and see what happens.

Also, if that group email is still going could I get on that?
Thanks!

#72 Offline Waganga - Posted July 3 2018 - 10:02 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

The same way you catch different kinds of Pokemon - visit lots of different areas during different times of the day! 

Legit, though, I've only found (healthy-looking) Tetramorium in the morning along streets/in my driveway. I found Camponotus on my house in the evening (5-6pm). I caught all my Pogonomyrmex during hot afternoons, but visiting the same park where I found them in the evening yielded no results.

I think, if you're after a particular species, try finding an established nest and observing what times of day they're most active. For example, the Formica in my back yard are all about life between 8am and noonish, then they take a siesta, and they're back at it around 4-5pm up till 10-11pm. That might give you an idea of when you might find their queens running around doing their thing. 

• sgheaton and Kujawaorchids like this

#73 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 3 2018 - 10:41 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Waganga's notes align a lot with mine, and I completely agree at finding an established colony first and then figuring out their times. 

Tetramorium in the morning no contest. Pogonomyrmex during the hot afternoons when they are out and about. I've got some Lasius Flavus living in the gardens that mimic the Tetramorium behavior. 

I think Kujawaorchids has the most species in Colorado... Not sure on the biggest though. Perhaps Wolf... Zero haaaad a good collection going. They are the ones you need to talk to for finding the different ones. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#74 Offline smares - Posted July 3 2018 - 8:00 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Kujawaorchids has been pretty quiet this season. I bought my fist queen from him.

In other news The pseudoscorpion I caught a while back is doing well..in fact she is carrying babies!

• piratechef likes this

#75 Offline piratechef - Posted July 4 2018 - 11:46 AM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

I also got my first queen from him, wanted to make trip down south and get some honeypots but I wouldn't know where to begin. lol. good luck with the scorpion smares!

• smares likes this

#76 Offline Dethundrel - Posted July 15 2018 - 8:46 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Has anyone had any really good Pogonomyrmex action yet? I've been checking several nests nearly daily and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on. I usually see 2-3 alates runnin around outside the next. Not just peeking but actually wandering up to 5 feet away, but not flying.

• sgheaton likes this

#77 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted July 18 2018 - 11:58 AM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

Hello, 

I'm still anting. Just busy starting my business. Honey pots will be flying this month! This is the time for Pogonomyrmex and have been seeing queens in the backyard again this year.

Edited by Kujawaorchids, July 18 2018 - 12:09 PM.

• piratechef likes this

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#78 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted July 18 2018 - 12:26 PM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

This is exactly how you do it. I research the species and see where they are located. Find a nest or two so you know they are in the area and then just wait for good rain and check the flying chart. It's the best part for me is finding them. I will drive 2 to 4 hours in this state to find them.

The same way you catch different kinds of Pokemon - visit lots of different areas during different times of the day! 

Legit, though, I've only found (healthy-looking) Tetramorium in the morning along streets/in my driveway. I found Camponotus on my house in the evening (5-6pm). I caught all my Pogonomyrmex during hot afternoons, but visiting the same park where I found them in the evening yielded no results.

I think, if you're after a particular species, try finding an established nest and observing what times of day they're most active. For example, the Formica in my back yard are all about life between 8am and noonish, then they take a siesta, and they're back at it around 4-5pm up till 10-11pm. That might give you an idea of when you might find their queens running around doing their thing. 

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#79 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 19 2018 - 5:04 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Dethundrel -- Saw my first Pogonomyrmex of the season yesterday at buddies. Just had arrived, gathering up my gear, looked down and noticed a queen running frantically on the sidewalk. Dropped everything and took a couple pictures of her *insert red harvester ant on sidewalk photos here* as well as the worker that was close by.

Was totally not prepared to capture her... I hoped it ended up in their yard :P

Time was 6:00PM. Yesterday was very hot as well. 

#80 Offline piratechef - Posted July 19 2018 - 9:34 AM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Had a successful hunt for my birthday in the mountains. Got 7 Lasius sp. and 4 Formica sp. Dethundrul I have Been catching Pogonomyrmex left and right In Longmont since june. Have about 10, they don't do so well in test tubes I have found. I have found one park I stick too and have been catching one everytime I go there for Pogonomyrmex. Also made a Facebook,  Colorado Antkeepers Group if you guys wanna join on there.

• Kujawaorchids likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colorado, anting, get together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users