• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colorado Anting Thread

colorado anting get together

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Offline piratechef - Posted February 9 2018 - 12:36 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado

Hello, noticed that we have quite a few of us from colorado here and was wondering if we could plan an ANTogether as the season is just around the corner. Thought we should have our own thread.

#2 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 9 2018 - 1:00 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Pretty sure we have a couple of these already...and we all communicate via mass e-mail with all of us in it.

However, Dacono... I'm in Firestone so we are technically the same town. You enjoying "Silent Hill: Cold Edition"?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#3 Offline smares - Posted February 10 2018 - 6:39 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado

How do I join this email list? Is it too early to get excited?

• nurbs likes this

#4 Offline piratechef - Posted February 13 2018 - 12:39 AM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Can you link me to these other threads or lemme join the mailing list lol. Also I'm relocating to Longmont but we will still be very close.

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 13 2018 - 6:07 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Longmont/Firestone/Greely .. all the same area... 

Yeah, I'll add ya both here when I remember. I don't think its ever too soon to get excited. There are just times when ants won't be as active, and you should work at CUTTING THE LID DURING THAT TIME DARNET!

• smares likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline smares - Posted February 15 2018 - 11:09 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

You know I think I'll just make some holes in the lids of my founding chambers in the mean time.

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 15 2018 - 11:12 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Been busy doing LIFE. Just added the two of you to the e-mail. 

#8 Offline tex1967 - Posted March 8 2018 - 6:23 AM

tex1967

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Hello.. could you add me to the email list as well?  I'm in colorado springs.

#9 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 8 2018 - 6:40 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Absolutely! The Colorado numbers continue to grow!

#10 Offline Waganga - Posted April 26 2018 - 4:56 PM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn, Colorado

Reviving this 30+ days old thread to ask to be added to the list! I'm in Northglenn (think Westminster/Thornton) and would be interested in coming along and/or adopting any unwanted queen(s). Particularly interested in camponotus, but willing to learn about/care for any genus. :)

#11 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 3 2018 - 6:13 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Hey Pirate, can you edit the original title into something obnoxious like, 

"THE SUPER DUPER OFFICIAL ONE OF A KIND FORMAL INVITATION TO THE COLORADO ANTING CLUB" for us please?

This thread will become the official Colorado Anters group as we've capped e-mail members and are having more join all the time.

What was 2, became 6, became 14?? doin''' well Colorado! 

Edit:

No reason to change the name. "Colorado Anting Thread" gets everything it needs to across. "It's probably an anting thread...specifically to colorado... but that's just me."

Edited by sgheaton, May 3 2018 - 6:17 AM.

#12 Offline Waganga - Posted May 3 2018 - 8:35 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

It's kinda funny to me that most of this forum seems to be oddly southern California-centric. :0 Surely there's quite a few of us in Colorado, too!

Would that make this a good place to post back to if I notice a nuptial flight or catch a certain kind of queen in a certain area under certain conditions?

#13 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 3 2018 - 8:42 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm really impressed at how much the Colorado number has grown!!

#14 Offline piratechef - Posted May 3 2018 - 9:46 AM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Maybe when the larger flights start we could get a group together and catch some queens and swap ideas. Happy hunting gents

#15 Offline smares - Posted May 6 2018 - 7:06 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

I didn't have any luck on my search this weekend. Lots of active nests but no queens. I did spot a neat looking black and red ant colony! I really hope I catch their nuptial flight.

black and red

#16 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 7 2018 - 7:25 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

DIDN'T get the week-before-Mother's Day snow! Yay. Commence official yard work! 

I'll plant things this weekend (haaaaaaa) but it is now what I officially consider Eastern Colorado Anting Weather. Prepare thyself for more Tetramoriums and Pogonomyrmex than you'll know what to do with. Last year I had an explosion of the L. Flavus as well. With the number of new Colorado Anters this year, I'm expecting all new journals to come out!!

#17 Offline Waganga - Posted May 7 2018 - 9:24 AM

Waganga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
I haven't had much luck yet either, but I am certainly bribing the camponotus in my back yard with honey and cooked turkey.

Anybody coordinating a hunting trip this week?

Edited by Waganga, May 7 2018 - 9:24 AM.

#18 Offline piratechef - Posted May 7 2018 - 1:35 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

sgheaton let me know when they start flying around you. I have seen various activity, drones, foraging, etc. but no queens yet. I just need some proven anting ground and I'm sure there will be queens. I've just been to a few parks and just keep encountering pesticides :mad:

if anyone knows of any good spots in the front range lets share so others don't have to waste there time and gas going to unproven spots if they don't want too. :D  just a thought :thinking:

anyway best of luck lads, happy hunting B)

also ill be heading out thursday friday sat and sunday. weather depending.

Edited by piratechef, May 7 2018 - 1:36 PM.

#19 Offline sgheaton - Posted May 8 2018 - 4:52 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I've sprayed around my house once already, and will be doing more later on. Probably this Saturday. 

Tetramorium came up through my back porch brick work. In the freaggin' center... Don't want that so murder burned them. The ants have dropped the brickwork by a whole inch. I'm going to have to repair crap before I sell... Darnet. 

That's been it around my house. A few scouts in the garden..nothing yet. NOW that it's done snowing, anytime its going to be 80+ after a rain, chances are good. While I think its possible to find them, I don't think thigns really pop off until the last week of May/First of June. That's when I'll find them on my way from the car to a work building. Not sure if its sprinklers fooling them or just the mass abundance, you'll find them!!

#20 Offline ACaseoftheMondays - Posted May 9 2018 - 3:07 PM

ACaseoftheMondays

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Hello, I just joined up and this seemed like a good place to say hello. Looking forward to this season, and I wish you all lots of luck. I got a 3d printer a few months ago and I am eager to try out some of my designs. If anyone in the area thinks they might need some stuff printed, let's talk, as it is a great medium for antkeeping. Especially for fitting together tubes, etc. Here are a few pics of some stuff I'm hoping to try out soon.

Blue and White Printed
Test Tube Transfer
Gray Printed
White Printed
Blue Printed

Edited by ACaseoftheMondays, May 9 2018 - 3:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colorado, anting, get together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users