• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Several Queen Identification (Lasius)

lasius

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Reevak - Posted February 8 2018 - 1:48 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I caught many queens in September of last year (I believe all of the ones shown below were caught during an enormous Lasius flight on the 11th) and I was wondering if I could get help narrowing down the species. I have a video showing what I believe to be Lasius neoniger at first, then a partially winged queen that I believed to be Lasius flavus (colors are dulled because of the tube), then I have what I believed to be Lasius flavus (her gaster is much larger than any of my other Lasius queens). I'm pretty bad at identifying species (or at least I have been in the past) so I would really appreciate any help, even if it narrows it down to 2 or 3 species at best. Thanks

I also have some images of the last two queens, but not the first duo.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted February 8 2018 - 1:58 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Lasius neoniger (?)

Edited by T.C., February 8 2018 - 1:58 PM.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 8 2018 - 2:33 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Lasius neoniger (?)

That's a possibility, but both queens seem to be different. I guessed that the second queen was Lasius crypticus or nearcticus, however I could be wrong. I bet Batspiderfish could get this.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline Reevak - Posted February 8 2018 - 6:00 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

The first queens in the video are lighter and smaller than the other queens by a millimeter or two, and the last and second last queens look black (instead of brown like the first ones)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users