• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mosquito control killing off nocturnal nuptial flights?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 23 2018 - 6:47 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I was sitting outside tonight waiting to see if any Camponotus would fly when I heard the mosquito control truck coming down the road. It made me wonder if all the insecticides it sprays going down the road, on all the roads in town, would kill off any ants flying around? Does anyone else live in a city/town that sprays for mosquitoes on a weekly basis? How does it affect ants flying around that same time?

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 23 2018 - 6:54 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Probably would

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted May 23 2018 - 8:51 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

A mosquito control truck? I can't say I have heard of that. But if they are spraying something in the air to kill mosquitoes, there probably won't be many Camponotus flights in that area.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#4 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 24 2018 - 3:14 AM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

A mosquito control truck? I can't say I have heard of that. But if they are spraying something in the air to kill mosquitoes, there probably won't be many Camponotus flights in that area.

Yeah, it's a truck with a big tank of insecticide that sprays into the air as it drives down the road to kill off the mosquito population. I always hated the idea of breathing in the chemicals, but I never considered it's effect of Camponotus flights until last night.

#5 Offline rbarreto - Posted May 24 2018 - 3:22 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
That has got to be devastating to the surrounding ecosystem.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#6 Offline nick2253 - Posted June 20 2018 - 12:56 PM

nick2253

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR, USA

I'm curious if you know what insecticide they are spraying.  According to the CDC, each locality determines its own insecticide, and supposedly it only kills the larvae, so I'm wondering if it would have any impact on ants at all.

https://www.cdc.gov/...d-FactSheet.pdf

#7 Offline BobJ - Posted June 20 2018 - 1:26 PM

BobJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

I'm curious if you know what insecticide they are spraying.  According to the CDC, each locality determines its own insecticide, and supposedly it only kills the larvae, so I'm wondering if it would have any impact on ants at all.

https://www.cdc.gov/...d-FactSheet.pdf

According to the pdf you referenced the trucks fogging for mosquitos most likely are targeting adult mosquitos using adulticide sprays.

"Adulticide sprays immediately kill flying mosquitoes. Larvicide sprays kill mosquito larvae that hatch from eggs and lasts longer than adulticide sprays."

Searching adulticide sprays used for mosquito control one comes up as naled which one article states... "Because naled is an insecticide, invertebrates such as insects, water fleas, and spiders could be affected."

https://www.epa.gov/...osquito-control

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 20 2018 - 2:41 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Plenty of non target insects will be killed. Naled is an organophosphate, as such it is non selective in what it kills.

#9 Offline mallonje - Posted June 20 2018 - 4:16 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I had the same thought the other night, then I did some research. My town page links to contractor, and they have plenty of information on their site.  

https://www.cmmcp.or...products-we-use

It looks like all they are using is specifically targeted towards Mosquitos. 

Founding:

1 P. Imparis queen caught 4/26/18

2 L. Umbratus caught 5/8/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/7/18 1st Eggs 5/17/18 

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/17/18 1st Eggs 5/22/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/31/18

1 T. Caespitum(?) queen caught 6/1/18

#10 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 20 2018 - 4:38 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Bt products are fairly tightly targeted so not a major concern, Methoprene is a growth regulator which can impact several insect groups. more concern there. The other pesticides listed are rather broad spectrum and I would be concerned. They list specific target pests but all that means is that is what they are allowed to use it for, but if it kills mosquitos it kills whatever else it comes in contact with.

• mallonje likes this

#11 Offline Jamiesname - Posted June 21 2018 - 2:36 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
According to the city website the following adulticides are being used: Biomist 4+4 (4%permethrin,4% technical piperonyl butoxide) and  Kontrol 4+4 (4.6%permethrin,4.6% technical piperonyl butoxide). These are sprayed into the air as a fog while the truck drives down the road.

#12 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 21 2018 - 2:49 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Permethrin is a broad spectrum insecticide and will kill pretty much anything it comes in contact with.

• mallonje likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users