• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

offering ants salt

food nutrients

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline smares - Posted February 4 2018 - 12:09 AM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado

Does anyone offer their ants salt? I know it can be a limiting nutrient for larger inland animals like deer and sheep. I saw a video recently where they were luring ants out with salt  at around 9 min they discuss bait. I thought it was interesting because I had never considered they would need or want salt but it makes sense. 

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 4 2018 - 2:14 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Electrolytes are an important nutrient for all animals. Ants that live in electrolyte poor areas away from saltwater sources, including ants kept in captivity, will be highly receptive to a low concentration of the salts sodium chloride and potassium chloride. Salt is one of three phagostimulatory ingredients found in Sunburst Ant Nectar, which I believe promotes receptivity, feeding response, and overall health.
  • Ants4fun, Kevin, Mettcollsuss and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food, nutrients

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users