• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question about ants in New York City

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mr.Wembley - Posted January 29 2018 - 4:27 PM

Mr.Wembley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I live in New York City, more specifically in the borough Queens right outside of Manhattan. As someone who is new to the ant keeping hobby, I was wondering what ant species I should look out for in this specific region and when they have their nuptial flights. I know New York has many different species, but most of them are found upstate in the rural and forest areas so keeping the species local would be great for me. Thank you for any help offered. It is greatly appreciated. :)

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted January 29 2018 - 4:31 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I live in New York City, more specifically in the borough Queens right outside of Manhattan. As someone who is new to the ant keeping hobby, I was wondering what ant species I should look out for in this specific region and when they have their nuptial flights. I know New York has many different species, but most of them are found upstate in the rural and forest areas so keeping the species local would be great for me. Thank you for any help offered. It is greatly appreciated. :)

Check out the thread below. You can see what's generally flying and when.

http://www.formicult...ngmating-chart/
  • Mr.Wembley likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Mr.Wembley - Posted January 29 2018 - 4:38 PM

Mr.Wembley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Check out the thread below. You can see what's generally flying and when.

http://www.formicult...ngmating-chart/

Thank you so much!

#4 Offline Lazarus - Posted January 31 2018 - 8:25 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada
You may want to check out Mikey's video which gives the answer to how many ant species can be found in NYC, while showing him hunting a few down:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=qSF9D0KluLY

My online ant spreadsheet

#5 Offline kingz2015 - Posted January 1 2019 - 4:25 AM

kingz2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationFlorida
The chart doesn't show for new York specifically though? Or does it and I just have to play around with it some more.

#6 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted January 3 2019 - 9:35 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Welcome! Though I’m in Massachusetts, I’ve used the charts noted above and Mikey Bustos’ nuptial flight guide
as my tools for catching my founding queens. You might also check to see if there is a local entomological guide to your area like this:
gallery_3143_1270_505464.jpeg
This guide is great. Southern New England and parts of New York are also covered so this might fit your needs. I’m currently hibernating three Camponotus pennsylvanicus colonies that I founded last May. I hope this helps. By the way, I was born in Astoria and grew up on the south shore of Long Island.
Good luck!

Edited by ConcordAntman, January 3 2019 - 9:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users