• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Random acts of antness...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted December 21 2014 - 8:26 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

So I've been watching my ants alot today, which I suspect is pretty common to all brand new ant keepers, and although they are considered to be one of the most organized societies on the planet, and to have one of the most complex social structures of any creature on earth, alot of what they do seems to me to be really random...  Like picking up a larva, and moving it from here to there, just to return it a few moments later to it's original location, and frequently repeating that action, over and over.

Am I just not understanding what I'm seeing, or are they not as intelligent as some people tend to imply?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted December 21 2014 - 11:13 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I don't think individual ants are that intelligent. What they  can and do accomplish as a group is what's so amazing.

• drtrmiller likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 21 2014 - 11:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yup. What kellakk said. They are smart as a colony, not individually. Sometimes you have to just come back later and see where all the larvae are rather than where each ant moves each one in the process.

• BugFinder likes this

#4 Offline prettycode - Posted December 22 2014 - 6:52 AM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

...and to have one of the most complex social structures of any creature on earth...

I don't think anyone thinks that.

Like has been said, individual ants are pretty stupid. Their social structure is extremely simple, as well. It's the emergent behavior that is fascinating. This is a whole topic of science: "complexity" and "emergence" theory. It pertains to agents of a system, operating under simple rules, producing complex behaviors that only arise given interactions and cooperation of said agents.

#5 Offline prettycode - Posted December 22 2014 - 6:59 AM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

In other words, the fascinating thing about ants, at least for me, and from an emergence perspective, is: given just how stupid and arbitrary individual ants are, how is it possible that they accomplish such amazing things together? How is the hive mind so smart when the individuals' minds are so dull? By what dynamics does the super-organism become greater than the individual?

You see this everywhere in nature. Science has been so reductionist up until now. We want to dissect everything into its individual parts, to try to deduce how the system works. But that's missing the forest for the trees. Complexity, emergence, and chaos theory address this from the other end: how might we understand nature by examining it holistically?

Take, for example, the leap from single-celled organism to multicellular organisms: what governing principles of nature are responsible for that? Where else are they present in nature? How do they manifest?

http://www.scienceda...41106113334.htm

There was an NPR program I heard a while back where, at a town fair, attendees were asked to guess the weight of a bull. Closest person won a prize. Over a thousand guesses were made. No one guessed the right amount him or herself, but when a researcher got ahold of the data and averaged everyone's guess, the average was literally the exact weight of the bull. How that's possible is a fascinating question to think about.

Edited by prettycode, December 22 2014 - 7:14 AM.

#6 Offline dermy - Posted December 23 2014 - 10:33 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I've found some of my colonies tend to have "Brain Dead" workers sometimes, maybe that's what that worker was haha.

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted December 23 2014 - 12:06 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I find the larger the colony the more interesting it gets.  Roles become more obvious, as well as a few ants that seem to have missed the role-playing memo.

I see all sorts of odd behaviors in colonies under 50 workers.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#8 Offline DesertAntz - Posted December 23 2014 - 12:44 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

When I first started observing my colonies they would obviously get startled. I saw a worker drag brood from the main pile and move it away, only for the queen to move it back to the pile. They did this back and forth for about 5 minutes. It was quite comical. 

Like crystal said, once a colony reaches a certain population, they'll probably be more effective as a colony and appear less 'dumb'. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users