• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis sp. Expirences/ How to keep?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline farazsonic101 - Posted January 19 2018 - 6:11 PM

farazsonic101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Recently I've been really intriguied by solenopsis sp. especially solenopsis geminata (as in the uk we do not have proper fire ants) I don't know if I can keep them in UK but I just wanted to know how to keep them and what expierences different pople have had with geminata or invicta.
Such as how long till you have an established colony, or how long does it take for an egg to a worker.
It would be really nice to see everyones expirences.
Thanks for reading!
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted January 19 2018 - 8:30 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I'd also like to hear any experience with Solenopsis molesta.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted January 19 2018 - 8:33 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

They are one of the better species  of selenopsis to keep in my opinion. Much better than S. Invicta. I can give no insight since I don't keep them and haven't.

Edited by T.C., January 20 2018 - 10:58 PM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted January 20 2018 - 2:46 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I don't know if that is true for Solenopsis molesta which is very much an underground species as well but my Solenopsis fugax do not climb on their container walls. They don't climb at all outside the nest, the highest I've ever seen them was on the top of the foot of the byformica feeder.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline Phoenix - Posted January 20 2018 - 5:39 AM

Phoenix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Geminata like most Solenopsis ants, grow incredibly fast under ideal conditions, swelling up by the hundreds within a few months alone. Usually, founding stage takes roughly a month or so, less actually. Minors develop much more quickly than majors do, for obvious reasons. Baby powder mixed with rubbing alcohol works wonders for me, shouldn't be an issue for others.

Colonies

Camponotus cf. albosparsus — Journal

Camponotus cf. auriventris — Journal
Camponotus sp.
Colobopsis spp.
Crematogaster sp.
Nylanderia sp.  Journal
Pheidole cf. parva
Solenopsis geminata — Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users