• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Carebara Diversa Queen. ASAP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline farazsonic101 - Posted January 18 2018 - 2:33 PM

farazsonic101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi, recently a friend had gave me his carebara diversa colony of about 30 workers (test tube setup with heat mat), and now it has been a month.

The colonies' workers have died (presumably just of natural causes) but no eggs have been laid, I know it is really hard to keep these colonies, but does anyone with experience know

how to restart this colony? 

Do you know what I should feed them and what temperature I should put them at? What do they normally like?

Could anyone give me any tips on this, thanks.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by farazsonic101, January 18 2018 - 2:34 PM.

#2 Offline Karma - Posted January 18 2018 - 4:54 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCanada

I don't have any personal experince with this type of ant, but I have heard that the best way to get the colony going is just leaving them alone. Trying as best you can to not disturb them and when giving food try to be the least disturbing that you can. I have also heard that they do much better in a more natural setup rather than a test tube.

As far as diet they should be good with accepting insects like mealworms and crickets and other feeder insects as well as honey/sugar water. I don't believe that diet would play much of a role in this issue though. 

Heat is important however I have never heard of an ant needed a specific heat to do well, besides either being generally warmer or generally colder depending on the environment they come from. As long as they are fairly warm and not cold but also not cooking where condensation forms on the walls of the test tube, they should be comfortable.

I hope this information helped although don't assume it is completely correct as I have never  had any personal experince with these ants and most of this information comes from other people or assumptions based on other ants. I hope all goes well and your ants have a successful comeback.  

Edited by Karma, January 18 2018 - 4:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users