• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Piratechef's Lasius Neoniger Colony DISCONTINUED

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline piratechef - Posted January 18 2018 - 1:46 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrontrange , Colorado
Queen and workers
So I Purchased this colony of Lasius neoniger for xmas. They had a total of nine workers and were in hibernation for two months already.

So I put them in a dark place and waited for the warmth to get here.

Queen

Then during one of my weekly checkups i noticed what i thought to be mold in there test tube. So i started the process of moving them.
After some researching I figured out it was just ant waste, so i just left them in there test tube but opened the end and placed it next to a fresh test tube.
After setting them in there for a day i checked on them and i noticed they were three workers short. I freaked and thought it was due to escapees :(
But after rotating their test tube I noticed 5 or 6 newly developed larva hidden in the cotton with the missing three workers.

Eggs in hibernation?
sorry for the blurry pics
Eggs in hibernation?
i just got a clip on macro lens

picture of new set waiting for them to move
here is a picture of the current set up until i get a heating cable i have them under a small heatlamp. Their diet is honey and peanut butter until my fruit flies get here next week. They seem to be enjoying it, their gasters are always full. I will update when their is some progress with the larva/eggs. Thanks for reading!

Piratechef

All of the pictures taken were from the last 6 days.

Edited by piratechef, February 15 2018 - 1:03 PM.

• noebl1, Serafine, Mettcollsuss and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Karma - Posted January 18 2018 - 4:25 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCanada

Looking good! Is that larger thing with tunnels a nest you want them to move into?

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted January 18 2018 - 4:26 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

First species I ever kept... will always be A favorite. <3 <3 <3

• Mettcollsuss likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline piratechef - Posted January 18 2018 - 10:21 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Looking good! Is that larger thing with tunnels a nest you want them to move into?

Thank you! Yes it is, i got them from starcraftjunkie, That is the smallest one i got. I left it in there as an option for them to move to but i think they will go to the other test tube when they do move.

First species I ever kept... will always be A favorite. <3 <3 <3

Yea they are my first species aswell T.C. and quickly becoming a favorite of mine, I didn't realize how beautiful the queens are.

Also small update. I lost one of the workers or at least she is missing, :o  hopefully just hidden in cotton. Gave them a small piece of steak also to help boost the larva, (y)  I didn't know if the peanut butter was sufficient enough for them until I can get them their fruit flies next week, Hopefully someone can help me out with that.  The egg/larva pile is slightly bigger also but they keep climbing over them its hard to count them. :D

• Mettcollsuss and Chicken_eater100 like this

#5 Offline piratechef - Posted January 28 2018 - 11:12 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

So small little update. Its been almost ten days since my first post. They still havent moved from their first tube but its almost dry.

Hiding from me lol

But they have been pulling at the cotton digging into it and creating what i think is where they stash the eggs and larvae

behind the cotton

Seems like the queen can't fit in their cotton maze but she has been slowly creeping out of the tube before i removed the cover to take these pictures

close up b4 cacoon

close up before cacoon
Even some of her subordinates are underneath her trying to escape the camera B)

three new cacoons
But I finally have my first cocoons :D :D :lol:
three new cacoons 2
Three by my count. Seems the peanut butter has been sufficient source of protein so far.
I haven't been able to get any fruit flies yet but i will be able to on Tuesday.
Been dealing with too much drama stuff lately  %)  but I will update this when the workers enclose.
And hopefully by next month when I'm in a new place, ill have a better set up for my ladies and my queens to be. :D

First documented casualty

On a sadder note I have found my first casualty. I don't think that this was the first though as i have only been able to count six maybe 7. (I don't wanna disturb them more than i need too)
Down from the original 9 so hope fully with the protein boost of flies in a couple days they will have some more cocoons before these workers enclose.

Anyway that is all for now.

Thank you for reading.

#6 Offline piratechef - Posted February 15 2018 - 1:12 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
So it's with heavy heart I have to report my lovely neoniger colony is no more. Long story short was moving away from crazy roommates, I was gone for the night and alot of my stuff was stolen and gone threw when i got back also in addition they had opened my colonies container and sprayed raid(I'm assuming) couldn't find any bottles near by but some kind of chemical bug killer was used.:( anyway I'm seriously upset just thought I would share
Hopefully I can get some queens this season.

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 15 2018 - 1:18 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I've got .. the L. Flavus queens still from last year if you'd like them. 

• T.C. and piratechef like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted February 15 2018 - 2:22 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

So it's with heavy heart I have to report my lovely neoniger colony is no more. Long story short was moving away from crazy roommates, I was gone for the night and alot of my stuff was stolen and gone threw when i got back also in addition they had opened my colonies container and sprayed raid(I'm assuming) couldn't find any bottles near by but some kind of chemical bug killer was used. :( anyway I'm seriously upset just thought I would share

Ouch... some jerks :ugone2far:

Sorry to hear about it.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#9 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 15 2018 - 6:44 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

So it's with heavy heart I have to report my lovely neoniger colony is no more. Long story short was moving away from crazy roommates, I was gone for the night and alot of my stuff was stolen and gone threw when i got back also in addition they had opened my colonies container and sprayed raid(I'm assuming) couldn't find any bottles near by but some kind of chemical bug killer was used. :( anyway I'm seriously upset just thought I would share

That's actually insane. Can't you report them to the police if they stole your stuff?

Edited by Jadeninja9, February 15 2018 - 6:44 PM.

#10 Offline piratechef - Posted February 15 2018 - 9:37 PM

piratechef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
I have contacted the police they pretty much laughed at me when I mentioned my ants and as far as my stuff goes I have to take them to small claims court. So pretty much a waste of time. And yes very much insane. Sgheaton I sent you a pm, that would be amazing.

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted February 15 2018 - 9:56 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Ya know, if someone did this to me... I just don't think it would go over well. That is, If I knew who did it.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users