• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted July 6 2018 - 5:43 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

7-6-18

I'm about to leave on vacation for at least five weeks with no access to any sort of internet connection, so I'm going to update this journal one last time before I leave. The small colony had a few more workers eclose; the total is now six workers. They also go their first large major.

The large colony is at 30ish workers, but they have no brood other than one or two pupae. This paired with the fact that I'm leaving for several weeks, I think the easiest solution would be to reverse hibernate them. When they come out of hibernation, they'll have a new THA Fortress waiting for them.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, October 25 2018 - 2:59 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Will230145 like this

#62 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 28 2018 - 1:19 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

8-28-18

The large colony just came out of reverse hibernation. Their Mini Hearth is really old and dirty, yet refuse to move to the THA Fortress I'm providing them. Sigh. One of the queens I caught just got a nanitic batch of 6 workers. I'm going to sell them and the colony in the Inception Chamber.

• Will230145 likes this

#63 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 28 2018 - 7:30 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Why don't put the Minihearth in the Fortress foraging area and remove the glass?

I see THA doing this in one of his videos :)

And yeah let the MiniHearth dry out first

Edited by CoolColJ, August 28 2018 - 7:31 PM.

• Mettcollsuss and Will230145 like this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#64 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 11 2018 - 3:25 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

9-11-18

I just sold the Inception Chamber colony, but several of the new queens I caught over the summer have nanitics now. They're also gonna go up for sale pretty soon.

After doing what CoolColJ suggested, I got them to move into the Fortress. I am using and old Hybrid Nest lid to cover the glass and keep it dark. A few days and two large crickets later, I peeked in and saw workers holding a clutch of 40-50 eggs  :). I have to admit I was kinda surprised to see eggs this soon after coming out of diapause. Now that the outworld's larger, it's really fun to watch them hunt down live fruit flies.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, September 11 2018 - 3:26 AM.

• Will230145 likes this

#65 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 13 2018 - 6:57 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
My colony's queen does not want to lay eggs.

#66 Offline TheRealAntMan - Posted September 13 2018 - 1:49 PM

TheRealAntMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationChicago,IL

My colony's queen does not want to lay eggs.

It's probably because she's ready for hibernation and most if not all species of Formica don't hibernate with their brood. My Formica queen is doing the same.

• Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts and Will230145 like this
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to their relative body size

#67 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 13 2018 - 4:06 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Yeah, I knew they don't hibernate with brood. I'm just sad no more workers are coming this year. :(

#68 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 25 2018 - 3:04 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Okay it's been a long time with no update. The first brood of the year is eclosing into callows. So far 5-10 have eclosed with another 20-30 pupae ready to eclose any day now. They also have maybe 40-50 larvae of assorted sizes and 20-30 eggs. It's only been a couple months since they were in diapause and they're about to double in size, maybe more. It's going to be a very fast growing year. Who knows, maybe they'll reach a mature size by their next diapause (or maybe I'm being a little too hopeful).

#69 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 8 2018 - 12:40 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Please update soon. These queens fly in my area so I will get some next year! :)

#70 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 3 2018 - 6:38 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

60-70 workers now, with 30ish pupae left and a new batch of 20ish eggs. I'm hoping that this year —being their third year— will be their population boom year, and it's looking like it. I just moved them into this THA Fortress a couple months ago and they're already outgrowing it. And all this rapid growth is WITHOUT a heating cable. I wonder how fast they'll grow when I add one. I'm deciding between getting them a new, larger setup or just adding onto the old one. I'm leaning toward the former, though, as their Fortress glass is getting pretty foggy/dirty. 

• TennesseeAnts, Will230145 and ANTdrew like this

#71 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 19 2018 - 6:25 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

A bunch more pupae just eclosed. They only have about a dozen pupae left. They're at roughly 100 workers. I'm hoping the queen lays more eggs soon; I want to keep this sudden population boom going. They have been eating a ton of honey and insects lately, though. I also added a heating cable, which should help.

#72 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 7 2019 - 7:39 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So the queen laid more eggs, but I guess they had kept them hidden well. I didn't notice that they had any brood for a while until today when I saw about 20 mid-size larvae. The larvae were in the chamber closest to the heating cable and spread out evenly on the ground. I've never seen this colony arrange their brood that way before. But they're still acting healthy, so I'm not concerned.

• Will230145 likes this

#73 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 16 2019 - 6:33 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

They have a ton of pupae, I'm estimating about 30. All the pupae are being held by a worker hanging from the ceiling next to the heating cable. it looks really cool. Like a bunch of stalactites made of ants and pupae. I'll get photos as soon as I can.

• Wa.Va likes this

#74 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 20 2019 - 1:14 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

med_gallery_1963_1384_2479022.jpg

med_gallery_1963_1384_359289.jpg

med_gallery_1963_1384_3103150.jpg

• Ants4fun, Canadian anter, T.C. and 3 others like this

#75 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 27 2019 - 4:03 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

They just keep getting more and more brood. There's about 50 pupae plus a new batch of eggs. At this rate, the colony will about double in size within the next couple of months. Considering the colony is about old 2-3 years old, they should hit their exponential growth phase soon.

#76 Offline T.C. - Posted January 27 2019 - 5:07 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
So cool, hopefully they explode in population soon. By far one of my favorite species when they the colonies do get large.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#77 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 10 2019 - 5:15 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
They finally moved into the AA Ytong nest! They have no brood at the moment, but that's not too surprising since their last batch only finished hatching a couple weeks ago. But they are still eating protein. I'll add photos soon.

#78 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 13 2019 - 5:02 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

They already completely fill up the new nest. Once their next batch of brood hatches, they'll need another nest. I'm not gonna move them again, I'll just add a satellite nest.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#79 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 13 2019 - 5:49 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
That is what I do.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#80 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted March 16 2019 - 5:00 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

med_gallery_1963_1384_400944.jpg

med_gallery_1963_1384_2142905.jpg

med_gallery_1963_1384_2453023.jpg

med_gallery_1963_1384_2760601.jpg

med_gallery_1963_1384_1166783.jpg

med_gallery_1963_1384_2221488.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, formica, formica subsericea, ant keeping, colony, mettcollsuss, ants, fusca group, formica fusca group, formica (=fusca), formica (=fusca) group, serviformica, serviformica group, formica (=serviformica) group, formica (=serviformica), field ants, field ant, antkeeping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users