• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 08 Research and Design (Updated 11-26-2023)

formicarium container out world enclosure how-to diy design nest dspdrew tutorial

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#161 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted February 8 2018 - 5:54 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

What about the dirt shacks, they absorb lots of water.

#162 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 8 2018 - 8:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I haven't seen it happen to them yet. One difference is that all the water isn't moving through in one small spot. I'm sure that given enough time it could probably happen. Most likely by then it would be very old and probably no longer used.

#163 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 14 2018 - 8:01 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I haven't seen it happen to them yet. One difference is that all the water isn't moving through in one small spot. I'm sure that given enough time it could probably happen. Most likely by then it would be very old and probably no longer used.
Oh, what do you use now?

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#164 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted February 14 2018 - 8:57 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I was wondering that too. Do you use plaster that doesn't absorb water or cement?

#165 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 15 2018 - 3:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh, what do you use now?

"it" was referring to the Dirt Box, not Hydrostone.

#166 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted February 15 2018 - 5:57 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I was talking about your other formicariums, not the dirt shack

#167 Offline CoolColJ - Posted June 21 2018 - 6:33 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

med_gallery_2_281_676769.jpg

Where can I get these type of containers with lid in a small size?

Edited by dspdrew, June 20 2020 - 10:14 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#168 Offline FernandoCunha - Posted August 26 2018 - 11:28 AM

FernandoCunha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPorto alegre,RS, Brazil

drew, i couldn't read all to know if someone already talked about that, and seeing some what of an evolution in your LF nests, all LF in the genuses Acromyrmex and atta present in USA are dry/desert species, you may have come across ppl saying they need crazy ammounts of humidity, that's far from right for NA species, compared to what i keep (i live in southern Brazil, in the state with the most species of Acromyrmex, curiously) they need quite high humity, but not as much as for example, for what i've seen, froma constant source that is always keeping the plaster moist, plaster by itself will hold humidity well enough to get them going, even hydroballs slightly humid will do, Acromyrmex versicolor, atta texana, atta mexicana, all are desert species and even gather often dead matter, i've seen your personal setups, your acromyrmex versicolor setup, i can't disagree that is somewhat hard to get some food source that is relliable for them, but variaty seems to be really important too, you probably already know that, but if not, just some addons, thanks

#169 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 30 2018 - 11:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

drew, i couldnt read all to know if someone already talked about that, and seeing some what of an evolution in your LF nests, all LF in the genuses Acromyrmex and atta present in USA are dry/desert species, you may have come across ppl saying they need crazy ammounts of humidity, thats far from right for NA species, compared to what i keep (i live in southern Brazil, in the state with the most species of Acromyrmex, curiously) they need quite high humity, but not as much as for example, for what i've seen, froma constant source that is always keeping the plaster moist, plaster by itself will hold humidity well enough to get them going, even hydroballs slightly humid will do, Acromyrmex versicolor, atta texana, atta mexicana, all are desert species and even gather often dead matter, i've seen your personal setups, your acromyrmex versicolor setup, i can't disagree that is somewhat hard to get some food source that is relliable for them, but variaty seems to be really important too, you probably already know that, but if not, just some addons, thanks

I have been told specifically by Dr Rebecca Clark who studies Acromyrmex versicolor, that they need as close to 100% humidity as possible. I have measured the humidity in my latest formicariums, which have all worked just fine, and it is only around 75% at around 80 F. I'm not sure she is right about that.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#170 Offline Leo - Posted September 30 2018 - 11:35 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

When I heard 100% I immediately had the image of leafcutters living under water.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#171 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted October 12 2018 - 9:15 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

...I mean...your colonies did have dying fungus all the previous times..right?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#172 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 17 2021 - 2:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

...I mean...your colonies did have dying fungus all the previous times..right?

I've had lots of colonies with dying fungus, but if a specific condition is killing them, they would all die because of it. You wouldn't have a few of them thriving while the rest die. The fact that many of them die is likely due to something else -- probably a number of things.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#173 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 17 2021 - 2:24 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Been printing a lot lately. Working on some more tile placement jigs.

gallery_2_281_521277.jpg

gallery_2_281_596399.jpg

gallery_2_281_127753.jpg

gallery_2_281_425285.jpg

More c-clips and tube adapters. :)

gallery_2_281_632494.jpg

• Antkeeper01 and UtahAnts like this

#174 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 17 2021 - 2:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Finally made some new drilling jigs. The old ones were such a PITA to use, and the holes weren't positioned precisely right.

gallery_2_281_974975.jpg

gallery_2_281_119447.jpg

gallery_2_281_836835.jpg

• cocdeshijie, Antkeeper01, PaigeX and 1 other like this

#175 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 24 2021 - 1:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

More tiles

gallery_2_281_1230694.jpg

gallery_2_281_65727.jpg

• cocdeshijie and Antkeeper01 like this

#176 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 30 2021 - 6:52 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Finally made a new drilling jig. The old one was such a PITA to use, and the holes weren't positioned precisely right.

gallery_2_281_119447.jpg

gallery_2_281_836835.jpg

what type of 3d printer do you use??? 

#177 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 16 2022 - 4:34 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Finally made a new drilling jig. The old one was such a PITA to use, and the holes weren't positioned precisely right.

gallery_2_281_119447.jpg

gallery_2_281_836835.jpg

A good one that's for sure.

• antsriondel likes this

#178 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 28 2022 - 8:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

CR-10

#179 Offline CAantz - Posted January 12 2023 - 7:13 PM

CAantz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Do you sell the formicariums for Acromyrmex?

Edited by CAantz, January 12 2023 - 7:30 PM.

#180 Offline CAantz - Posted January 12 2023 - 7:25 PM

CAantz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I was just reading through this whole thing and I’m kind of confused. Do the versions of the formicarium now have tile at the bottom or hydrostone or both?

Edited by CAantz, January 12 2023 - 7:30 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, container, out world, enclosure, how-to, diy, design, nest, dspdrew, tutorial

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users