• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

C. Chromaoides colony not eating their protein

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted January 9 2018 - 4:36 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
My C. Chromaoides colony won't eat any protein, I put in half a cricket or a piece of a super worm and they never seem to show any interest. They have a big pile of brood and they seem to be getting smaller. Does anynody have any suggestions? I plan on catching some termites or fruit flies to feed them.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted January 9 2018 - 4:41 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I've noticed in my camponotous colonies, about a month before and after hibernation they only took to sugars. What is your colony doing right now?
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 9 2018 - 8:27 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It's difficult to diagnose a problem about eating habits for a colony that should be hibernating right now.

• Nathant2131, FeedTheAnts and Ants_Texas like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline Winston - Posted January 10 2018 - 4:46 AM

Winston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, United States

I have tons of Camponotus Chromaiodes colonies, so from what I've seen they don't eat too much protein in there first year. I've never fed them feeder insects yet, but I've given them meat scraps, left overs from stuff I eat. I've had good luck with that. They've eaten chicken, beef, and pork.

#5 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted January 10 2018 - 8:29 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
I took them out of hibernation early since the colony's queen's gaster was the size of her head(same with workers). They've done about 3 months of hibernation and they seem to eat mainly sugars.

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted January 10 2018 - 9:10 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I took them out of hibernation early since the colony's queen's gaster was the size of her head(same with workers). They've done about 3 months of hibernation and they seem to eat mainly sugars.

Then, just give it a little longer. For future reference I would be sure it is at least a 3 full months. And I recommend more than that generally, like four. However they should be fine, give it some more time and I personally would start heating the colony. B)

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline Serafine - Posted January 10 2018 - 11:33 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If the gasters of the ants go very small you can put them out of hibernation for a few days and feed them with sugars. Even in nature temperatures aren't constantly low and ants might be able to get access to sugars (some species "milk" their larvae, some drink from early-blossoming flowers and others live in symbiosis with other species like root aphids) when temperatures rise for a few days. Just wait until their gasters look fat again and then put them back into hibernation.

Edited by Serafine, January 11 2018 - 3:00 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#8 Offline Miles - Posted January 10 2018 - 11:38 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I generally have a hard time getting my Camponotus colonies to take mealworms and crickets. I've had a lot more success with freshly-frozen flightless fruit flies, and even live flies for the ambitious hunters in the larger colonies.

• T.C. likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#9 Offline Serafine - Posted January 11 2018 - 3:05 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

My Camponotus (barbaricus) were barely interested in hard-shelled prey (crickets, grasshoppers, roaches) until they reached around 1000 ants (probably more like 850 or so but you get the idea). They still don't like superworms though.

They were really picky while the colony was small and mostly took just fruit flies, bee brood, dead spiders and other softskinned prey. I didn't try minced meat (which is rather soft as well) at that point so I can't say if it would have worked but they love it now.

Edited by Serafine, January 11 2018 - 3:06 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#10 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted January 11 2018 - 5:04 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
I'll try the fruit flies and spiders, since lots of people seem to have success with them, but for some reason one of the larvae seem to be growing a bit bigger than the others.

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#11 Offline Serafine - Posted January 11 2018 - 9:33 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

for some reason one of the larvae seem to be growing a bit bigger than the others.

That's completely normal for Camponotus.

#12 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted January 12 2018 - 7:39 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
YES! They dragged 2 cricket legs back into the nest and all of the larvae look nice and fat, with 2 being bigger than the others.

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#13 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted January 12 2018 - 11:41 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

You've got to cut the crickets up into many pieces.  They won't commonly take whole insects until they get some strong majors. 

Here's what I do, feel free to completely mimic it: I catch a spider, or buy some crickets, and then freeze them until they are dead. Then I take scissors and cut each of the limbs off, and then cut the body into three pieces. Sounds gross, but this seems to be a very efficient method. My Camponotus pennsylvanicus go for it every time. 

#14 Offline Serafine - Posted January 13 2018 - 3:50 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Every colony is different (my Camponotus barbaricus colony didn't like crickets until they were around 800 workers while in the one other journal I could find they loved them) but cutting food into smaller pieces is a good idea in general.

#15 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted January 13 2018 - 6:42 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
Thanks, AntsTexas that is exactly what I do, but with cricket drumsticks and they seem to love them. However the brood pile seems to be diminishing in size rapidly with 2 larvae being bigger than the other.

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#16 Offline Serafine - Posted January 13 2018 - 8:28 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Camponotus always feed some larvae more than others.

#17 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted January 13 2018 - 10:00 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Maybe some variety is in order? You could attempt to catch local insects, which is what I do sometimes. Mine have never accepted earwigs, though.

If it helps, my colony's favorite spiders are grass spiders and wolf spiders (be careful catching wolf spiders). I go out to find them when it gets dark, and if you wear a headlamp you can easily see their eyes shining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users