• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Parasites on two of my Vicinus queens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Irishmate03112002 - Posted June 12 2017 - 8:29 PM

Irishmate03112002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationClayton, CA

Two of my Vicinus queens have a large number of parasites.  They're still in their founding stages, with nanitics to arrive soon.   The parasites are tiny, remain stationary, are attached to antennae, legs, head, and abdomen.  

It was suggested to cool the queen and simply knock the parasites off.  I attempted this, but learned they are difficult to dislodge.  I am patient, but after repeated forceful attempts, I only managed to knock one lose, it simply moved and latched on to another location.  The force to remove the parasite had me concerned i would cause severe injury to the queen so i stopped.

I tried lemon slices, leaving them in the test tube and even rubbed lemon juice all over one queen with no effect.  The parasites are smooth, remain latched on like a tick.  They do not swell, remaining the same size over the month I have had the queens.  They are not like mites i've observed on other insects that are easy to knock off and appear mobile.  

I don't have a good enough camera to even attempt a picture.  Here is a close resemblance from an online search.  Any tips on how to solve this issue would be appreciated.

https://www.bing.com...ex=6&ajaxhist=0

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted June 12 2017 - 8:49 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

If the founding stages are going on without issue, then the mites probably are not doing harm. I'd leave them alone.

Please include the genus whenever you are writing out the species name. You can abbreviate after writing it out once (i.e. Camponotus vicinus, C. vicinus).

Here's a slightly dated picture of my Lasius latipes queen, a species that is notorious for dying in captivity. She is covered in mites, but she's laid lots of eggs while her first larvae (she is a social parasite) are maturing at a pleasing rate. Instead of parasites, these mites are probably commensal:

Edited by Batspiderfish, June 12 2017 - 9:13 PM.

• lucas3431 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Irishmate03112002 - Posted July 2 2017 - 9:28 AM

Irishmate03112002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationClayton, CA
That is exactly what the mites look like on my queen. She now has her first workers and is doing fine. Thank your for the information.
  • lucas3431 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users