• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 06 Research and Design (Updated 11-26-2023)

formicarium container out world enclosure how-to diy design nest dspdrew tutorial

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#61 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 20 2018 - 6:17 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

All the tiles rounds I cut out absorb water just fine before performing the experiment.

#62 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted January 20 2018 - 8:42 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Can you give the links to the tiles and cutouts you buy? I want to start experimenting with these as I'm looking into non natural setups now.

#63 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 20 2018 - 8:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I cut the tiles myself. The tiles I used to buy from Michaels, but they don't sell them anymore. I'll have to find some elsewhere. Any unglazed ceramic tiles will work.

#64 Offline zlez93 - Posted February 11 2018 - 6:40 PM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Hey,

Wanting to create something similar to this myself although I don't have access to the tiles and molds you have used.

I was looking at your original design and I am wondering how the sponge from the bottom container contacted the hydrostone in the nest?

For myself I was thinking of doing this: Having a container at the bottom (water tank), drilling hole from tank lid to the nest and putting a pvc tube with sponge inside it so moisture wicks up. Then, sticking some clay over the top of the tube and then placing hydrostone down in the nest so it's approximately 2mm higher than the tube then pulling out tubing and removing clay and putting it back into place in the nest. Ideally I'd probably push the sponge further up as far as it goes so there's good contact.vWhat do you think about this? I'm not sure if the sponge will transfer water to the hydrostone flooring in the nest doing this? I'd obviously test the humidity levels out first but I haven't ordered the containers yet.

Edited by zlez93, February 11 2018 - 6:47 PM.

#65 Offline Del - Posted February 15 2018 - 10:00 PM

Del

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

It is possible that the silicone is releasing a hydrophobic substance that is being absorbed by the porous tiles. I can't find any specific info on this, but I vaguely remember someone telling me to use silicone oil spray as a release agent as it replenishes the oils that a silicone mould naturally loses over time. Take that with a pinch of salt though

#66 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 16 2018 - 3:44 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's exactly what I think might be happening.

#67 Offline T.C. - Posted February 20 2018 - 10:04 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Is there any particular reason you simply didn't use the mesh over a hole, and use evaporation? Of course, hydration wouldn't work as well. I'm mainly just curious how you feel about that?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#68 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 21 2018 - 2:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Is there any particular reason you simply didn't use the mesh over a hole, and use evaporation? Of course, hydration wouldn't work as well. I'm mainly just curious how you feel about that?

The reason I don't do that is because I want it to be their access to drinking water as well. I have thought about putting the tile in the out world for drinking, while allowing only humidity into the nest, like you are suggesting.

#69 Offline FSTP - Posted February 21 2018 - 6:05 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

These are looking really nice. Will you be selling these on amazon like the dir shacks once you have everything finalized?

#70 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 21 2018 - 7:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'll probably sell them on eBay. The only way they would be sold on Amazon is if someone with an Amazon store sold them, the way byFormica sells the Dirt Boxes.

#71 Offline JohnTX - Posted February 21 2018 - 7:46 AM

JohnTX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Any problem with smaller workers escaping from the stackable containers?  I tried using the same ones, but the drying hydrostone warped them a bit causing micro gaps in the lid fit that led to escape.

Wondering if you encountered that or, better yet, found a solution beyond fluon, etc.

#72 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 21 2018 - 6:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Any problem with smaller workers escaping from the stackable containers?  I tried using the same ones, but the drying hydrostone warped them a bit causing micro gaps in the lid fit that led to escape.

Wondering if you encountered that or, better yet, found a solution beyond fluon, etc.

You need to squeeze the sides together and hold them with masking tape until the Hydrostone is cured.

#73 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2018 - 10:37 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I made a larger version of this simple formicarium, just like the starter version, but with three chambers. It's basically structured like test tube in a foraging container, only with a much better hydration system and sectioned off chambers. These prototypes were actually made for Antking117. I'll be making more that I can test out myself soon.

med_gallery_2_255_306299.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_411414.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_475133.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_484420.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_260215.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_173190.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_109132.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_433709.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_124695.jpg

med_gallery_2_255_287335.jpg
  • Ants4fun, Jonathan21700 and noebl1 like this

#74 Offline Ants4fun - Posted March 4 2018 - 10:49 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

What did you use to connect the boxes?

#75 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted March 4 2018 - 3:10 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

What is the white stuff on the ground?

#76 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 4 2018 - 3:13 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Oh no! They're so crooked! Crooked boxes!

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#77 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 4 2018 - 4:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What did you use to connect the boxes?

3D printed connector tubes.

What is the white stuff on the ground?

Resin and sand.

Oh no! They're so crooked! Crooked boxes!

Haha, I know. I don't have a jig made yet for those holes.
  • Ants4fun likes this

#78 Offline noebl1 - Posted March 5 2018 - 8:21 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

@dspdrew Do you have info somewhere on what resin you use that's ant safe? Your designs are always really inspiring.  Thanks!

EDIT: I haven't used resins before, so wasn't sure if most of the common crafting ones are ant safe.  Thinking I can cut down on some printing time by using a 3D printed frame, with an epoxy fill as hydrostone obviously was a failure.

Edited by noebl1, March 5 2018 - 8:29 AM.

#79 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted March 5 2018 - 12:58 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
What are those small containers you are using for the interior chamber?

Edited by YsTheAnt, March 5 2018 - 12:58 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#80 Offline CoolColJ - Posted March 16 2018 - 3:05 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Reminds me of the Chinese Bamboo tube nests, with the refillable sand hydration chamber at the back.

No issues with mold on these

There is a member here called Leo that uses one for his ants

http://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i2/3340958150/TB257IWvMxlpuFjSszgXXcJdpXa_!!3340958150.jpg http://img.alicdn.co...!3340958150.jpg

http://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i3/3340958150/TB2Lo0rvYVkpuFjSspcXXbSMVXa_!!3340958150.jpg http://img.alicdn.co...!3340958150.jpg

http://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i4/3340958150/TB2jIkoXfAPyuJjy0FcXXbCzpXa_!!3340958150.jpg

Edited by CoolColJ, March 16 2018 - 3:09 PM.

• rdurham02 likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, container, out world, enclosure, how-to, diy, design, nest, dspdrew, tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users