• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Claustral or Semi-Claustral

Best Answer Connectimyrmex , January 4 2018 - 12:19 PM

All Solenopsis species are fully claustral. Looks like yours is S. invicta, because the markings are too dark to be a CA native Solenopsis species. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 3 2018 - 5:22 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEncinitas, California

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Palm Springs, CA
2. Date of collection: 12/28/17
3. Habitat of collection: Desert
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5/16 inch (7.9mm)
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Orangish-brown with a brighter orange spot at the front of the gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics: 

7. Distinguishing behavior:
8. Nest description: 

9. Nuptial flight time and date: 5:00pm 12/28/17

[/URL]" />[/URL]" />i1146.photobucket.c
Snap 007
Snap 003
Snap 011
Snap 002
Snap 006
Snap 009

[Images of nest]

[Images of habitat]

Edited by AJAants, January 4 2018 - 1:05 AM.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 3 2018 - 5:24 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

That is Solenopsis sp., and they're fully claustral. 

She does seem to have a sizable dent in the gaster, not sure how that will affect her.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, January 3 2018 - 5:25 PM.

• ThePygmyMammoth likes this

#3 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 3 2018 - 5:25 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

I would very much like to know the species of this queen, but mostly I would like to know if she is claustral or semi-claustral so that I may care for her properly. I caught 5 of these, 4 of which were drowning in a pool, but I managed to scoop the out and dry them off and they all seem fine now.

Thank you!

#4 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 4 2018 - 12:26 AM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Yeah I noticed the dent, I think that this was likely due to the fact that she had fallen into a pool. It may have come from some sort of trauma within the pool, perhaps being thrashed by the water movement. It is also may have been from my attempts at removing her from the poll which was not easy since the water was full of movement. I also recall that one of the queens bit me as a removed them from the water which caused me to more hastily and unceremoniously attempt to put her into a container which may have caused the dent as well. I managed to catch five of these queens either in the pool or immediately around it and I noticed today that one had laid a few eggs. Hopefully at least one of them will successfully rear a colony.

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 4 2018 - 4:13 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

As long as they're fertile, they will almost certainly start a colony. I don't know of any fertile queen of this that hasn't made it through the founding period. However, seeing as those are fire ants, they will explode in population very fast, so make sure you're ready for that.

• ThePygmyMammoth likes this

#6 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 4 2018 - 11:40 AM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

I'll definitely make sure to be prepared for a rapid increase in population. I already have a couple possible setups for them and I can easily figure out more. While I'm a little intimidated by the prospect of keeping fire ants, seeing as I'm still a relatively new ant keeper, I'm excited for the challenge. Thanks for the info!

#7 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 4 2018 - 12:19 PM   Best Answer

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

All Solenopsis species are fully claustral. Looks like yours is S. invicta, because the markings are too dark to be a CA native Solenopsis species. 

• dermy and ThePygmyMammoth like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#8 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 4 2018 - 1:14 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

After doing a bit of research myself, I think you're right. I compared the images from AntWeb of several Californian solenopsis species and the only other remote possibility seems to be S. xyloni. But, as you said, my queen seems too darkly colored to be anything but S. invicta.

Edited by AJAants, January 4 2018 - 1:15 PM.

#9 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 4 2018 - 1:18 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

By the way, how do I mark this request as answered?

#10 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 4 2018 - 1:35 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Nevermind, I figured it out.

#11 Offline nurbs - Posted January 4 2018 - 2:35 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Interesting. Invicta in the super dry CA desert? I've only seen xyloni and molesta that surrounding area. Also peculiar is that you found her in December.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#12 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted January 4 2018 - 4:29 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

The instant I saw that coloring thought S. invicta, hate this species.

Yeah, they are listed to fly in January, guess Ill need to update a few things. Also could you add this to https://nff.antkeeping.wiki/records? would be greatful!

Edited by StopSpazzing, January 4 2018 - 4:30 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#13 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 4 2018 - 4:57 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Sure, always happy to help! Yeah, I noticed that there were no flights for this species in December on dspdrew's chart.

#14 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 4 2018 - 5:24 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

I'm trying to submit the flight to the nuptial flight records, but I'm not sure how to upload a photo. The "Choose File" button is faded out and can't be clicked. If you would like, I can simply provide a link to this page in the notes section in order to provide the photos. It also keeps showing the message "The Spam Protection field did not match the correct answer."

Edited by AJAants, January 4 2018 - 6:05 PM.

#15 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted January 4 2018 - 10:55 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

I'm trying to submit the flight to the nuptial flight records, but I'm not sure how to upload a photo. The "Choose File" button is faded out and can't be clicked. If you would like, I can simply provide a link to this page in the notes section in order to provide the photos. It also keeps showing the message "The Spam Protection field did not match the correct answer."

I use drews chart to show what's flying. Ill have to check it tomorrow and ill update this post. Not sure why all of a sudden it isn't working.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#16 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 5 2018 - 2:38 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

At this point would you say its pretty certain that these queens are S. invicta? or is there any chance that they are S. xyloni? On AntWeb, the photo of the invicta queen is similar in terms of the shade of reddish-brown, but the pattern on the xyloni queen's gaster seems more similar to this queen, especially since all of my queens share this bright orange spot on the gaster that the AntWeb example does not have.

#17 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 5 2018 - 4:29 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Solenopsis xyloni is bright red/orange, and Solenopsis invicta is maroon. You've got what you've got. Also, since S. invicta is a dominant invader, it makes sense that they would be flying in the middle of winter.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#18 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted January 5 2018 - 5:22 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Solenopsis xyloni is bright red/orange, and Solenopsis invicta is maroon. You've got what you've got. Also, since S. invicta is a dominant invader, it makes sense that they would be flying in the middle of winter.

yeah, invasive species tend to ignore the whole "one flight season a year" rule and tend to fly year-round.

#19 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted January 5 2018 - 5:40 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Coloration is rarely a reliable factor in ant identification. I'd be much more comfortable looking at features on the workers, such as the clypeal teeth.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#20 Offline ThePygmyMammoth - Posted January 5 2018 - 11:34 PM

ThePygmyMammoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Okay, just thought I'd ask, I'm still pretty new to the world of ants so I figured I would put it out there and see what you all had to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users