• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Care Sheet - Pseudomyrmex pallidus

pseudomyrmex pallidus care sheet ant keeping ant care

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 10 2019 - 6:58 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

hi i justs aquired Pseudomyrmex simplex, you are saying they have to be in a twig or they will die?...

well it really depends on the species and colony from what I've read. I have seen many pseudomyrmex colonies housed in traditional formicariums.

Edited by Manitobant, September 10 2019 - 6:58 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#22 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted September 10 2019 - 7:51 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I have a colony of Pseudomyrmex pallidus housed in a very small test tube, and they seem to be doing well. The colony is currently at around 25 workers, more than double that amount in brood, and two very physogastric queens. I'd say, as long as they're in something no more than a few millimeters in diameter, they should be just fine.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#23 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 10 2019 - 8:29 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I have a colony of Pseudomyrmex pallidus housed in a very small test tube, and they seem to be doing well. The colony is currently at around 25 workers, more than double that amount in brood, and two very physogastric queens. I'd say, as long as they're in something no more than a few millimeters in diameter, they should be just fine.

Will they hibernate this winter? I need to know if I should hibernate them once they arrive.

#24 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted September 10 2019 - 10:17 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Will they hibernate this winter? I need to know if I should hibernate them once they arrive.

Pseudomyrmex pallidus do not hibernate. The queens keep laying throughout the winter.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 10 2019 - 4:19 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Wow.... physogastric at only twenty-five workers! They must be happy.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#26 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted December 7 2019 - 12:49 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Do Pseudomyrmex ejectus produce additional queens in captivity, or is that unique to P. pallidus?

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#27 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 7 2019 - 12:52 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, a variation of the word twig ants, but some pseudomyrmex avoid dry twigs. I've only ever seen P apache nesting in living branches that vary in diameter from a 2 inches to 4-5 inches. They also prefer hydrated nests.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#28 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 9 2019 - 9:41 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Do Pseudomyrmex ejectus produce additional queens in captivity, or is that unique to P. pallidus?

Pseudomyrmex ejectus are also polygynous, and I've collected colonies with 3 queens in the past. Nothing compared to the 20 queens colonies of P. pallidus I've captured in the past, but still pretty good sized. Often times the colonies I capture though are satellite nests.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pseudomyrmex pallidus, care sheet, ant keeping, ant care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users