• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aerated concrete nest help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Maters - Posted December 26 2017 - 9:30 AM

Maters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello. This summer I caught some Lasius queens. And all of them are doing great. In some of my test tubes mold had started growing and I decided to make some aerated concrete nests. 2 colonies that had a lot of mold growth have already moved in. But I'm having trouble keeping the nests moist. The first nest I made I drilled 2 holes on opposite ends of the nest that i stuffed with cotton for hydration. But i saw that it would dry out really fast. So the second one I made I carved a much larger trench going from one end of the nest to the other and also stuffed with cotton. Although much larger volume of water can be put in there the nest dries out in less than a day.  I searched on google about this but the method of keeping the nest in a dish of water and letting the concrete suck up the water doesn't sound too great. Anyone have any experience with Ytong/aac nests? Is there a better way of keeping the nests moist?

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline Diesel - Posted December 26 2017 - 12:46 PM

Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Hey Maters. IMO concrete is not a really good medium to work with. Ytong on the other hand if you can get your hands on it has many useful applications and there are numerous people that use it that can provide answesr to this. IMO if you are a DIY person is to either buy or make a 3d printed nest that has hydration capabilities. i myself make mine using grout sand/peralite mix that usually does well with moisture without the mold issues. you can also check ebay,amazon and other site for professional style formicariums for cheap money. well worth the investment if you plan on being a serious ant keeper.

Ant Species kept

Temnothorax Longispinosus.-Journal(discontinued)-(formerly)

Camponotus Noveboracensis (formerly)

Camponotus Nearticus-formerly

Tetramorium sp.-formerly

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queen & brood.-formerly

Tapinoma Sessile-Journal (3 queen colony)-formerly

​Tapinoma  Sessile #2 (2 queen colony)-formerly

Aphaenogaster Picea-Journal-active

Crematogaster sp.(Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with 3 workers and brood-formerly

​Crematogaster sp. #2 (Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with brood-formerly

Formica sp. polygenus-active 300+ workers-active

Formica Subsericea-active 25+ workers-active

Myrmica Rubra 400+ workers 3 queens-active

#3 Offline Maters - Posted December 26 2017 - 1:21 PM

Maters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

By aerated concrete I meant Ytong. Ytong is just a brand name for this stuff. I did consider using grout but I already had some of the aerated concrete so ended up using it instead. Hopefully I will find a way to keep my nests moist.

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 26 2017 - 1:38 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Even if AAC looks visually dry, it still has water in it. Just hydrate it every 3-4 days and you should be good.

#5 Offline AkumaArtist - Posted December 27 2017 - 1:47 PM

AkumaArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSpain

It doesnt need to be flooded,it'll be ok,but still is better to use a piece of sponge than cotton ,it retains the water much better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users