• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antmass competition

competition christmas ants

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 21 2017 - 9:56 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationParker, Colorado
Hey guys,
I want to give away a small formicarium for a young colony. I will probably start poll January 5th and will bee accepting entries until the 4th. If you think you have the most epic colony, or even if you just have a colony you want to show off, enter and include an image and background info on the colony. I would just like to see the diversity of species you guys are keeping.

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

at jk@uglyorangetruck.com (funny email, I know)

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 22 2017 - 4:32 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I would enroll if I had cooler colonies xD

• Penguin likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted December 22 2017 - 5:41 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Um... here? On your webpage (if yes, link please)?
I feel a slight lack of information.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 22 2017 - 4:16 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Post the images here, also feel free to post an image even if you colony is somewhat boring  :)

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

#5 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 26 2017 - 5:13 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Only 8 days left to post, 

#6 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted December 26 2017 - 6:20 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

The colony I'm submitting is my Pseudomyrmex gracilis colony. Me and Spamdy captured all of their oak galls they were living in off of a tree. I almost left his place without the queen, but we went back just for good meausre and cracked open more oak galls. Spamdy spotted the queen booking it out of one of the last few we could reach. I had tons of trouble raising them though, and eventually even started neglecting them due to their great climbing skill. The thought that I was just pretending that they weren't there just haunted me everyday, so I committed to them again. I got a one of my vacant Mini-Hearths setup to start moving them into. After about five hours of total work, I moved half of the colony and the queen in. They needed a WAY bigger Tarheel outworld though. My Twig Ants need Tarheel outworlds because they're basically air tight, and I just can't underestimate their climbing ability. After it arrived, I was able to move the remaining Twig Ants in with their family. After that, I threw a massive party!  :party:

Sorry for going orgin story on you, but it was a difficult colony for me to get set up and I'm very proud about it! 

Here's my video of them inside their nest. I hope this is better than a picture would be.

Edited by Ants_Texas, January 8 2018 - 5:01 PM.

• dermy and FeedTheAnts like this

#7 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 26 2017 - 6:32 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

No problem, the story is cool, so is the colony, is your channel labeled as ants Colorado?

#8 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 26 2017 - 6:43 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

P. gracillis is very similar to P. pallidus, exept P. pallidus is polygynus and mates in captivity.

#9 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted December 26 2017 - 6:45 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

No problem, the story is cool, so is the colony, is your channel labeled as ants Colorado?

Yes.

#10 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 26 2017 - 6:46 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

I am subscribed to you

#11 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted December 26 2017 - 6:46 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

P. gracillis is very similar to P. pallidus, exept P. pallidus is polygynus and mates in captivity.

So is Pseudomyrmex a common sight in Colorado? I know they aren't native there but I'd assume they're naturalized invaders?

I am subscribed to you

Thank you very much :)

#12 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 26 2017 - 6:48 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

not really, in the sand dunes they are every where

#13 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 26 2017 - 6:49 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

here is my colony (ft. five of the 11 queens) 

QC23qXQ.jpg

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted December 26 2017 - 7:19 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

The colony I'm submitting is my Pseudomyrmex gracilis colony. Me and Spamdy captured all of their acorns they were living in off of a tree. I almost left his place without the queen, but we went back just for good meausre and cracked open more acorns. Spamdy spotted the queen booking it out of one of the last few we could reach. I had tons of trouble raising them though, and eventually even started neglecting them due to their great climbing skill. The thought that I was just pretending that they weren't there just haunted me everyday, so I committed to them again. I got a one of my vacant Mini-Hearths setup to start moving them into. After about five hours of total work, I moved half of the colony and the queen in. They needed a WAY bigger Tarheel outworld though. My Twig Ants need Tarheel outworlds because they're basically air tight, and I just can't underestimate their climbing ability. After it arrived, I was able to move the remaining Twig Ants in with their family. After that, I threw a massive party!  :party:

Sorry for going orgin story on you, but it was a difficult colony for me to get set up and I'm very proud about it! 

Here's my video of them inside their nest. I hope this is better than a picture would be.

Nice sound effects.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#15 Offline VoidElecent - Posted December 26 2017 - 7:31 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I surrender to Ants_Texas and Spamdy

#16 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted December 26 2017 - 10:19 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

The colony I'm submitting is my Pseudomyrmex gracilis colony. Me and Spamdy captured all of their acorns they were living in off of a tree. I almost left his place without the queen, but we went back just for good meausre and cracked open more acorns. Spamdy spotted the queen booking it out of one of the last few we could reach. I had tons of trouble raising them though, and eventually even started neglecting them due to their great climbing skill. The thought that I was just pretending that they weren't there just haunted me everyday, so I committed to them again. I got a one of my vacant Mini-Hearths setup to start moving them into. After about five hours of total work, I moved half of the colony and the queen in. They needed a WAY bigger Tarheel outworld though. My Twig Ants need Tarheel outworlds because they're basically air tight, and I just can't underestimate their climbing ability. After it arrived, I was able to move the remaining Twig Ants in with their family. After that, I threw a massive party!  :party:

Nice sound effects.

Thanks, I thought it was a pretty good idea.

#17 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted December 26 2017 - 10:23 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

here is my colony (ft. five of the 11 queens) 

QC23qXQ.jpg

Yes I've seen it in your other post. I was thinking about getting a colony but they're costly the way I like them set up. A Mini-Hearth and a Premium Desert Scene outworld is $100+..

#18 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 27 2017 - 8:24 AM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

you can't do that with P. pallidus though, they will only nest in tight cylindrical spaces. mine are in a tiny test tube.

#19 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 27 2017 - 8:25 AM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

also you can nest them in a home made out world like Kujawa orchids does. he made an outworld and put sticks in it.

#20 Offline AntHUB - Posted December 27 2017 - 8:28 AM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

also these ants tend to be expensive because they are great for making money. partly because they behave like black crazy ants and after they mate they return to the nest.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: competition, christmas, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users