• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Would opening a termitat hurt/stress out the termites?

termitat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 21 2017 - 11:04 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hi!

I recently ordered a termitat, and it arrived in great shape. The only problem is the presence of dried alates (and a few soldiers) at the bottom of the setup (from an attempted nuptial flight). More alate nymphs are appearing, and I'm worrying that the dead alate buildup may grow. If more alates fly and die, I'm thinking about opening the termitat to remove the dead alates (my family has the right screwdriver).

Would it disturb the termites too much? My Reticulitermes colony is okay with me opening their setup to add food occasionally, but my old colonies (Coptotermes gestroi and Cryptotermes, left behind in Hawaii) always would freak out when I opened their setups, so I have no idea how the Zootermopsis angusticollis would react.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 22 2017 - 4:45 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I don't see why not. The creator of the termitat says on the site he takes it apart and puts new wood in when needed. But, with that said...I dunno if he keeps the same exact termites or just puts new termites in. And I dunno how that works anyway since shipping live termites sounds risky, but that is slightly different subject.

In the wild, things can happen that open up a termite nest (mostly people cause it, but I imagine animals try to get in too or the weather can open up a nest or all kinds of things). Seems pretty natural to me in any case.

• LC3 and Connectimyrmex like this

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted December 22 2017 - 5:41 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I think you would have some trouble putting them back but I don't think it would cause them enough stress to die. Egg production might stall for a week or two but they most definitely shouldn't buckle over and die.

• Connectimyrmex likes this

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 22 2017 - 6:05 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Thanks, guys. Since there are no alates ready to fly in there as of now, I probably won't be opening it anytime soon. If I do, I'm thinking about holding one of the glass panels to the central wood piece to provide the termites with a place to hide until the cleaning is over.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes