• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wyalusing State Park — 12/21/17

queen ant id queen id myrmecine wyalusing wyalusing state park

Best Answer Batspiderfish , December 21 2017 - 6:25 AM

Looks like it could be Myrmecina americana.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 21 2017 - 5:50 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

This queen landed on my dad's shirt while we were camping. I'm not sure if she's semi-claustral or fully claustral. I've put a drop of honey in the tube in case she is, but I can't tell if she's been eating it. I did give her a small outworld at one point, and she did explore it, but that doesn't necessarily mean she is semi-claustral, since sometimes even claustral queens will explore a little.

1. Location of collection: Wyalusing State Park, which is right on the border of Wisconsin and Iowa.

2. Date of collection:  September 4, 2017

3. Habitat of collection:  Hardwood Forest

4. Length:  4-5 millimeters

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture:  Reddish-Brown coloration on head, thorax, and abdomen. Legs are a yellowish color. Gaster is somewhat shiny and is lighter at the tip. From the underside, the entire back half of the gaster has the lighter coloration. The head also gets lighter near the mandibles, and just like the gaster, it's more noticeable from the underside. She's too small for me to see texture.

6. Distinguishing characteristics:  Two petiolar nodes. Large antennal clubs are noticeable without any magnification. I did notice workers all over the place that looked just like her except maybe 1 millimeter smaller, and with a smaller thorax. The workers looked kind of like large Tetramorium

7. Anything else distinctive:  She's fairly calm and relaxed. The only thing that seems to bother her is super bright light. She also really loves the moist end of the tube. She spends all her time sitting on the wet cotton.

8. Nest description:  None.

9. Nuptial flight time and date:  September 4, 2017

10 . Post the clearest pictures possible of the top, side, and face of the ant in question, and if possible, their nest and the habitat they were collected in.

gallery_1963_974_97670.jpgmed_gallery_1963_974_58844.jpgmed_gallery_1963_974_51851.jpgmed_gallery_1963_974_77322.jpg

Thanks!

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 21 2017 - 6:25 AM   Best Answer

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

• Mettcollsuss likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 21 2017 - 2:11 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Actually, that looks almost exactly like her. I'm assuming that they're semi-claustral?

Edited by Mettcollsuss, December 21 2017 - 2:13 PM.

#4 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 5 2018 - 11:26 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yes, they are semi claustral.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen ant, id, queen id, myrmecine, wyalusing, wyalusing state park

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users