• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ytong moister

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SheepForgeBoi - Posted December 16 2017 - 10:16 AM

SheepForgeBoi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

So I am planning to make a Ytong nest for when my ants come out of hibernation in the spring (I live in the UK) but I have a question about these water holes I see people talk about when building Ytong nests. I would guess this is to keep the nest moist for the ants but how much water do I need to add each day? How wet does it need to be? 

Thanks 

#2 Offline Penguin - Posted December 16 2017 - 10:24 AM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

So I am planning to make a Ytong nest for when my ants come out of hibernation in the spring (I live in the UK) but I have a question about these water holes I see people talk about when building Ytong nests. I would guess this is to keep the nest moist for the ants but how much water do I need to add each day? How wet does it need to be? 

Thanks 

This would depend on your humidity level, the size of the formicarium and even the shape of it due to water movement and evaporation.

Also this depends greatly on the species you plan to keep's moisture requirement.

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#3 Offline SheepForgeBoi - Posted December 16 2017 - 10:47 AM

SheepForgeBoi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Thanks 

This would depend on your humidity level, the size of the formicarium and even the shape of it due to water movement and evaporation.

Also this depends greatly on the species you plan to keep's moisture requirement.

I plan to keep lasius niger in it. It won't be too big but how am I meant to know how wet it needs to be?

#4 Offline Hunter - Posted December 16 2017 - 10:50 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

if you use ytong do not use it with larger ant works camp, messor, Pogonomyrmex, as they can chew threw it, but neo/niger are fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users