• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A way to prevent mold from growing in ant test tubes?

ants

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 12 2017 - 10:24 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

After reading many journals, I learned that it is common for semi-claustral queen or founding colony tubes to get heavy layers of mold on the cotton eventually. I then realized that I never got mold on the cotton of my tubes. Even though having mold is a bad thing, it made me wonder if I was feeding my ants something wrong or if the cotton contained antibacterial chemicals. So far, every queen that I've caught in CT is still alive (except for one wild caught colony), and they've been in those tubes. 
I think that I might have figured out why my tubes never mold.

Whenever I put a piece of cotton in a tube, I cover the exposed part with a little bit of filter paper or tissue to make it more difficult for the ants to pull at. It also makes it harder for the ants to bury their food in the cotton, Since the only uncovered part is the dry cotton, they stuff their food scraps and feces in the cotton plug, which can easily be cleaned.

I also use freshly filtered water instead of distilled or bottled water. This might not have anything to do with the lack of mold, but I think that distilled water may pick up harmful mold spores when sitting out. 

NOTE: This does not work with termites.

You can see a drawing of what I mean here: https://scratch.mit....jects/192981209

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#2 Offline AkumaArtist - Posted December 12 2017 - 12:25 PM

AkumaArtist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSpain

I like the idea to put the filter paper

Two of the queens i caught died because of mold (it was summer,so the heat+humidity and their leftovers made it a death trap) so I'll try it,thank you!

#3 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 12 2017 - 12:54 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Hope it works well for you as well! :)

• AkumaArtist likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 12 2017 - 1:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Mold is only generally a problem when an excessive amount of food or other organic materials are left in the test tube for too long. Otherwise, it grows far too slowly, and does not pose an immediate danger to ants.

Feeding your ants only as much as they can consume within a few hours, and removing uneaten food and waste is the best way to eliminate any harmful effects mold may have.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted December 12 2017 - 2:10 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Mold is only generally a problem when an excessive amount of food or other organic materials are left in the test tube for too long. Otherwise, it grows far too slowly, and does not pose an immediate danger to ants.
Feeding your ants only as much as they can consume within a few hours, and removing uneaten food and waste is the best way to eliminate any harmful effects mold may have.

Test tube outworld works best. Then the chance of ever getting mold is way less.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted December 12 2017 - 5:07 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Don't put food or water in test tubes prevents mold from forming. I need to modify my water reservoir 3D plans to allow food to be added without need to remove the whole thing.

Edited by StopSpazzing, December 12 2017 - 5:10 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#7 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 13 2017 - 4:34 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Okay, I just wanted to give some suggestions for those without outworlds :(

I never really used outworlds because my ants would often start nesting outside of the tube.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted December 13 2017 - 5:46 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Properly washing hands before making test tubes matters.

I've had Camponotus barbaricus living in a test tube for over 8 months (at the end they were around 80 ants) and my Solenopsis fugax are still living in the test tube they got 14 months ago. The Camponotus never had ANY mold and the Solenopsis got one tiny spot of mold so far that emerged about a month ago.

The only ants that have a noticable amount of mold in their tube are my Lasius niger because they though sticking garbage onto the cotton was a great idea. However they are using sand (lots of sand) to very effectively suppress the mold growth.

Edited by Serafine, December 13 2017 - 5:47 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users