• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moth Breeding

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted December 10 2017 - 2:53 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Was wondering if anybody has any advice for breeding some moths to feed my colonies? Sod webworms are pretty common around me, and I managed to catch a mating pair. I believe I've identified them to be Herpetogramma phaeopteralis. I keep them in a glass aquarium with some nice soil and grass, which I observed most adults hang out inside of in the wild. I water the grass once a day, and make sure the grass gets sunlight. Anybody have experience with this? Thanks.

Here's their terrerium:

eBMhkGs.jpg

#2 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted December 10 2017 - 5:19 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
You may have the general gist of things covered. If the grass dies I’m sure clippings wouldn’t be hard to come by. Be aware that the larvae may be cannibilistic in enclosed spaces.

If you’re interested in mass rearing, there exists artificial diets for webworms, armyworms, and cutworms, that can be made with mostly easy to come by materials bar for a few ingredients that may need to be purchased online.

Or you could opt for culturing waxworms or silkworms, both commonly cultured feeders with easy to make (waxworms) and easy to find (silkworms) diets and substrates available for breeding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users