• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Alcohol to kill/prevent mold

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted December 5 2017 - 6:28 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I've got a couple formicariums from THA that have blue/black mold growing in the foraging area, so I decided to put a few drops of isopropyl alcohol of the affected areas. My ants are in hibernation inside their nest, I plugged their entrance and let the formicaiums sit in the fridge until I couldn't smell alcohol anymore. Today is the first day, so I'll update you on whether or not my ants survived the night with any trace amounts of alcohol in their nests.

Has anyone attempted this before, and did it kill off the mold?

#2 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted December 5 2017 - 9:54 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Typical mold dies from lack of water or very acidic conditions. I would suggest removing the foraging area and cleaning it well before connecting it back next time. They will probably survive...

Edited by StopSpazzing, December 5 2017 - 9:56 PM.

• Diesel likes this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#3 Offline Hunter - Posted December 6 2017 - 5:15 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

if it happens when you have ants running around you can just put some salt on it wait a day or 2 and clean the area with water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users