• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Coops Camponotus Festinus Colony.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline Coops - Posted December 5 2017 - 9:19 AM

Coops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Being quite honest i don't bother this colony a great deal and just let them do their thing while ensuring they have food and moisture. I got the Queen of this colony late august, she laid a healthy pile of eggs soon after and i left her be. after about 4-5 weeks her first workers emerged, personally compared to other Camponotus species I've kept in the past she has grown her colony very quickly in the last few months, with a worker count of 31 at present. they moved into an acrylic nest about a month ago, and I've also noticed a nice pile of 10-15 eggs amongst the rest of the brood so it looks like the queen is happy. 

The majority of the colony inside their acrylic nest, notice the healthy pile of brood in the bottom left:

kBwag9lh.jpg

The Queen with her first and only major caste worker just above her, I've noticed she sticks with the Queen almost always, is this normal for them to have a kind of 'Royal Guard' made up of major castes?

kMqEF3uh.jpg

Edited by Coops, December 5 2017 - 9:20 AM.

• T.C. and Penguin like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users