• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Parents won't let me keep Carpenter Ants! Help!

camponotus camponotus pennsylvanicus carpenter ants camponotus nearcticus ant keeping parents

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 3 2017 - 8:46 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have been planning to catch a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen when they fly in the spring. I've been planning their setup and whatnot. I thought my mom knew, but apparently she didn't. So when I started talking about my future plans for them, she told me that I wasn't allowed to keep them. She doesn't have a problem with me keeping other ants, but she's worried that they will escape and nest in our house. She's kind of paranoid because our back deck does have a Carpenter Ant problem. I do already have a small C. nearcticus colony, but she only let's me keep them because they only nest in cavities that already exist and don't grow very large colonies. Can someone come up with ideas to help me convince her to let me keep Carpenter Ants? Thanks!

#2 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted December 3 2017 - 9:05 AM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
The most extreme case I can think of is if they escape, you can commit mass genocide against all the other ants. Or promise that you can get straight A's. Or both.

#3 Offline Hunter - Posted December 3 2017 - 9:13 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

give them the finger and just keep formica

#4 Offline Spamdy - Posted December 3 2017 - 9:28 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I have been planning to catch a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen when they fly in the spring. I've been planning their setup and whatnot. I thought my mom knew, but apparently she didn't. So when I started talking about my future plans for them, she told me that I wasn't allowed to keep them. She doesn't have a problem with me keeping other ants, but she's worried that they will escape and nest in our house. She's kind of paranoid because our back deck does have a Carpenter Ant problem. I do already have a small C. nearcticus colony, but she only let's me keep them because they only nest in cavities that already exist and don't grow very large colonies. Can someone come up with ideas to help me convince her to let me keep Carpenter Ants? Thanks!

If you already have a Camponotus pennsylvanicus problem, there's something wrong with your house. Camponotus cannot chew through dry wood, only wet wood. I can see how they could burrow into a patio styled deck since water is always wetting the wood thus allowing the ants to chew their way into the wood. If your house in general like the wood in the walls isn't wet, they won't have anywhere to go and you should be able to get them back in the setup. But be warned, their colonies grow very fast and so them escaping is something you will have to watch out for. Good luck.

• LC3 and Mettcollsuss like this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#5 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted December 3 2017 - 9:29 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I've had Camponotus decipiens escape before and they simply died. I don't think they would take interest in nesting in your house. You could also keep their outworld as an air tight container to prove that they can't get out to her.

#6 Offline Spamdy - Posted December 3 2017 - 9:33 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I've had Camponotus decipiens escape before and they simply died. I don't think they would take interest in nesting in your house. You could also keep their outworld as an air tight container to prove that they can't get out to her.

These are two whole different species of Camponotus, Camponotus decipiens aren't known for nesting in houses, while Camponotus pennsylvanicus are widely known as an equivalent to termites.

Edited by Spamdy, December 3 2017 - 9:33 AM.

• LC3 and Antapoloosa like this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#7 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 3 2017 - 10:54 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Tell her that they can only chew through untreated wood, not interior wood. And, say that eating through the paint or wood floor kills them because the floor is treated and the paint I'd poisonous.
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#8 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 3 2017 - 10:55 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

What the truck they're the elders in this situation

Here's how I got my parents to let me keep Camponotus:

1. Prove that entire colonies have difficulty moving

2. Carpenter ants rarely cause major house damage, termites do.

3. Their setup is secure

4. That if the colony escapes, I will buy the poisons necessary to kill it.

• FeedTheAnts and Mettcollsuss like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#9 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted December 3 2017 - 11:07 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

These are two whole different species of Camponotus, Camponotus decipiens aren't known for nesting in houses, while Camponotus pennsylvanicus are widely known as an equivalent to termites.

The point is, they'll die. The species won't matter.

#10 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 3 2017 - 11:24 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Rot is a common misconception, but not the only reason they move in.  When we moved into our house, we had a problem with Camponotus in the rafters in the basement that the original owners tried to "spot treat" rather than solve the problem.  Not due to rot, but due to humidity in the basement being high enough that during the summer when it was hot outside, it was perfect conditions for them down there.  Add into that ready source of food and water...well you know the drill.  We've been keeping a dehumidifier running in the basement all summer for the last couple years, and no more ant issues.  We had been paying for an exterminator, but not really worth it now that we found the root issue.  My parents also had a brand new house (less than a year old), no rot what so ever, and an entire colony of 10s of thousands moved into the rafters in the basement as well due to humidity.  My dad still is totally freaked out by them after he pulled down insulation, and they rained down on top of him as he later sprayed and vacuumed them out for 2 hours.

As a home owner, an adult, and a parent, I can understand how your parents feel that way.  At a total logical level after keeping ants, I understand keeping them is not an issue unless you have a full and total jail break.  However I still can't bring myself to keep C. pennsylvanicus, only Myrmentoma...  Maybe for now keep other species to show them you have a sense of responsibility, and they may come around at some point.

#11 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 3 2017 - 12:12 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Well, I do already have an F. subsericea colony, but why Formica? I don't see much similarity between them other than the fact that they're both Formicine.

#12 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 3 2017 - 12:18 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

If you already have a Camponotus pennsylvanicus problem, there's something wrong with your house. Camponotus cannot chew through dry wood, only wet wood. I can see how they could burrow into a patio styled deck since water is always wetting the wood thus allowing the ants to chew their way into the wood. If your house in general like the wood in the walls isn't wet, they won't have anywhere to go and you should be able to get them back in the setup. But be warned, their colonies grow very fast and so them escaping is something you will have to watch out for. Good luck.

The Carpenter Ant problem isn't in our house, it's in our back porch, which is really old and made of wood. Plus it isn't sheltered, so it gets a little moist after a rainstorm.

#13 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 3 2017 - 1:10 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Well, I do already have an F. subsericea colony, but why Formica? I don't see much similarity between them other than the fact that they're both Formicine.

When I was a temperate-climate ant keeping beginner, Formica's larger size made it look similar to Camponotus. Otherwise, I don't really get Hunter's reasoning. Apparently he loves Formica. I kind of hate Formica, because mine always eat their pupae ;-;

• Mettcollsuss likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#14 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 3 2017 - 1:57 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

When I was a temperate-climate ant keeping beginner, Formica's larger size made it look similar to Camponotus. Otherwise, I don't really get Hunter's reasoning. Apparently he loves Formica. I kind of hate Formica, because mine always eat their pupae ;-;

Huh. I've never had a Formica queen eat any of her brood.

#15 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 3 2017 - 3:39 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Huh. I've never had a Formica queen eat any of her brood.

With me, they always do for some reason. I think that they just get stressed very easily.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#16 Offline Salmon - Posted December 3 2017 - 5:30 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

Will she really know the difference between a carpenter ant and any other ant? If she sees your colony and gets suspicious, just say "that's not a carpenter ant, that's a large xylophilic member of the genus Camponotus". 

• LC3, Spamdy and Chicken_eater100 like this

#17 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted December 3 2017 - 5:47 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Will she really know the difference between a carpenter ant and any other ant? If she sees your colony and gets suspicious, just say "that's not a carpenter ant, that's a large xylophilic member of the genus Camponotus". 

Ha! I was actually thinking of doing that, except maybe calling them something other than Camponotus, because unfortunately, that's the ONE name my dad actually remembers out of all the ants I'm constantly talking about.

#18 Offline KBant - Posted December 3 2017 - 5:59 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

show them you do not respect their authority and keep them anyways. show them who is boss of the house. rules are meant to be broken.

• dermy likes this

#19 Offline Martialis - Posted December 3 2017 - 6:25 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

show them you do not respect their authority and keep them anyways. show them who is boss of the house. rules are meant to be broken.

(n) That is some very bad advice.

• Diesel likes this
Spoiler

#20 Offline T.C. - Posted December 3 2017 - 6:52 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I'm trying to think how many times my parents would have beat my a$$ with that attitude back in the day.

Edited by T.C., December 3 2017 - 6:52 PM.

• sgheaton, Martialis, Diesel and 1 other like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, camponotus pennsylvanicus, carpenter ants, camponotus nearcticus, ant keeping, parents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users