• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from the UK

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Coops - Posted November 29 2017 - 2:32 PM

Coops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello, just thought I'd pop an intro in here. I've been Keeping ants for quite some time now, used to be in forums until a few years ago but I stopped posting through lack of time. I currently keep the rather controversial solenopsis Geminata, which I've had for about a year. And two young queen raised Camponotus colonies with about 10-15 workers each. I also have around 80 Lasius Niger colonies in hibernation til next year, with an average of ten nanitics each. So i look forward to posting some pics and looking at the colonies the rest of you have to show!
  • Mettcollsuss likes this

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted November 29 2017 - 4:03 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Welcome to formiculture.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Coops - Posted November 30 2017 - 12:04 AM

Coops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Welcome to formiculture.

Thank you :)

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted November 30 2017 - 1:57 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Welcome to formiculture.

Thank you :)

No problem, hopefully you find your time worth while here. The UK based forums I had joined where all terrible experiences for me. They would ban people for the fun of it or ran it in some sort of cultish way. One day you would log on and make a few posts about ants, then the next you would come on to the "white screen of death".

Edited by T.C., November 30 2017 - 2:01 PM.

• drtrmiller and Mettcollsuss like this

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 30 2017 - 2:29 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

No problem, hopefully you find your time worth while here. The UK based forums I had joined where all terrible experiences for me. They would ban people for the fun of it or ran it in some sort of cultish way. One day you would log on and make a few posts about ants, then the next you would come on to the "white screen of death".

Did you "advertise" this or another forum or disagree with someone in charge? Evidently, ant forums are such a threat to one another's existence, one mustn't even mention their existence. Also, if you registered but didn't post very much, that's also cause for being banned. Or, the owner could have just been having a difficult day and needed to ban some accounts to feel better. I've heard of that happening, as well.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 30 2017 - 2:37 PM.

• dermy, Martialis and Mettcollsuss like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted November 30 2017 - 2:38 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Content removed by author.

Edited by T.C., December 1 2017 - 11:15 PM.

#7 Offline Coops - Posted November 30 2017 - 3:26 PM

Coops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I literally have seen so many UK forums like you say, in fact I joined a few last year looking to get back into posting, but looking through the forums, before i had even posted I noticed 90% of the replies to members which needed help and advice were the moderators/administrators constantly picking out grammar/spelling and not actually helping. I must say it put me off completely and decided not to bother.

Edited by Coops, November 30 2017 - 3:27 PM.

• T.C. and Mettcollsuss like this

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted November 30 2017 - 3:39 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I literally have seen so many UK forums like you say, in fact I joined a few last year looking to get back into posting, but looking through the forums, before i had even posted I noticed 90% of the replies to members which needed help and advice were the moderators/administrators constantly picking out grammar/spelling and not actually helping. I must say it put me off completely and decided not to bother.

Haha, well you won't find that here. There is a few rules here put in place for the better the community, but just the obvious stuff.

Edited by T.C., November 30 2017 - 3:41 PM.

#9 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 30 2017 - 5:12 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Welcome. Hope you like it here.

#10 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 30 2017 - 5:13 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

While reading this thread, I just realized that I never actually made an introduction post when I fist created my account. Whoops.

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted November 30 2017 - 6:30 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

While reading this thread, I just realized that I never actually made an introduction post when I fist created my account. Whoops.

It's always a good thing to do.

#12 Offline Coops - Posted December 1 2017 - 12:06 AM

Coops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Haha, well you won't find that here. There is a few rules here put in place for the better the community, but just the obvious stuff.

Yeah I can already tell you guys are normal😉 of course some rules are definitely needed! And Thank you

#13 Offline Hazzbeen - Posted December 3 2017 - 8:45 AM

Hazzbeen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationIrvine, California

I also have around 80 Lasius Niger colonies in hibernation til next year, with an average of ten nanitics each. 

*gasp* That's a lot of ants that are gonna grow fast! Good luck and welcome :)

Ant Species:                                                                             Other Insects:

Myrmecocystus mexicanus                                                       Pnigomantis medioconstricta

Camponotus fragilis                                                                  Peucetia viridans

Lasius niger                                                                               Blaptica dubia

Lasius flavus                                                

Messor barbarus                                                                       

#14 Offline Coops - Posted December 3 2017 - 10:54 AM

Coops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I also have around 80 Lasius Niger colonies in hibernation til next year, with an average of ten nanitics each.

Haha I know! I used to have someone who I sold them to every year and he sold them on, unfortunately, he didn't want any this year! So I'm kinda stuck on them, I'm in no rush to get rid of them until March. That being said if anyone is interested I'll be willing sell them cheap:) if not, I'll likely release them in various spots once they emerge from hibernation.

Edited by Coops, December 3 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#15 Offline T.C. - Posted December 3 2017 - 11:23 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Haha I know! I used to have someone who I sold them to every year and he sold them on, unfortunately, he didn't want any this year! So I'm kinda stuck on them, I'm in no rush to get rid of them until March. That being said if anyone is interested I'll be willing sell them cheap:) if not, I'll likely release them in various spots once they emerge from hibernation.

Unfortunately this is a North American based forum. So we only have a small percentage of UK members. :) (And as I'm sure you know you can't ship legally to the U.S. :( )

#16 Offline Coops - Posted December 4 2017 - 12:24 AM

Coops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Unfortunately this is a North American based forum. So we only have a small percentage of UK members. :) (And as I'm sure you know you can't ship legally to the U.S. :( )

Ahh yes I'm well aware of That, I use to sell on eBay and got asked by a lot of US residents to post there, even though it clearly stated no shipping to the US! :) anyway your not missing out too much, I'm pretty sure Lasius. N. Are similar to that of tetramorium. c.? So overall pretty boring in behaviour! But a great beginner species and some of the most agile little workers:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users