• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Beginner in Georgia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Fresh Hex - Posted July 12 2017 - 7:38 PM

Fresh Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationsavannah georgia

I'm hoping to start up a colony this year, but I'm not certain what in my area would be a good choice. Solenopsis is common, but I'd rather try a species more suitable.

Anyone else in GA?

#2 Offline AnthonyMarkman - Posted November 23 2017 - 5:40 AM

AnthonyMarkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi Fresh Hex, what a fellow anter and I have done was gone into the woods in Georgia where you are unlikely to see Solenopsis invicta and turned over rocks and logs.  I don't know the species, but my friend collected a colony (with queen) of large amber colored ants.  It was too cool.

#3 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted November 23 2017 - 10:07 AM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I'm hoping to start up a colony this year, but I'm not certain what in my area would be a good choice. Solenopsis is common, but I'd rather try a species more suitable.

Anyone else in GA?

I'd recommend checking out antmaps.com to see what ants live in your area. If I were you I wouldn't keep Solenopsis invicta, because that might be illegal  in Georgia and they aren't very good beginner ants. During the summer try checking inside rotting logs by carefully cutting the bark off and you may find a Crematogaster or Camponotus queen.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted November 23 2017 - 5:13 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Welcome. The owner of ByFormica lives in Georgia I believe.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users