• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Support for an upcoming ant app, AntHUB

app ant community contests polls

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Offline AntHUB - Posted January 16 2018 - 8:06 PM

AntHUB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationParker, Colorado
Alpha will be released in February

President & founder of LHS Entomology Club, (available on discord) Check out my photography website! https://www.armyofinsects.com/ Email me with questions

at jk@uglyorangetruck.com (funny email, I know)

#42 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 9 2018 - 7:30 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

I am very excited for this app and am eager for it to gain traction, as I know there are a lot of people in my area in the ant hobby, and it would be so useful for us to see what alates other people are finding so we can go out and find some ourselves. You see, where I live in the San Fransisco Bay Area, temperatures are warmer year round that most places. We even get Indian Summers where the hottest months of the year will be throughout the Fall. Because of this, general Nuptial Flight records don't apply to our area. This app could really help us learn more about the behavior of ant nuptial flights in our area, and make it sooooo much easier for us to find queens. The main difference between this app and say... a discord or a forum thread, is that this has a greater potential to reach a larger audience than any discord or forum thread can. I think one thing you could do to try and achieve this audience is by contacting many ant YouTubers such as NordicAnts, AnstAustralia, and maybe even AntsCanada. Maybe you should contact smaller YouTubers first, then work up to bigger ones. You don't really even have to pay them to get them to promote your app as the payment for the success of your app would be the convenience of seeing what species around you are flying. And some advice I have for you is to make sure everything looks neat and professional with no grammar mistakes. Scrutinize every word on the app carefully. And also, do not listen to the naysayers, because the only way to get this app to work is by not giving up. Once you give up, that's it. It's over. And you let the people that told you the app wouldn't make it, succeed. Best of luck my friend!

Edited by Jadeninja9, February 9 2018 - 7:41 PM.

#43 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted February 9 2018 - 8:13 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

Oh and also, will you be able to see where the species have been spotted on a map? If that is the case, then I think that records should be organized by year. For instance, once 2018 passes and 2019 has begun, you'll be able to see a 2019 map that will show what species are flying as time goes on. But you'll also be able to switch back to a 2018 map in order to see when and where species were flying last year so you can compare data and keep a scientific record in order to better be able to predict nuptial flights in your area. I don't think any other nuptial flight finder does this. Also, how will you be able to obtain the money that will keep the app running? Will you have ads? As long as the ads are non-invasive and don't obstruct anything on the app like a lot of mobile games do, then I would be fine with the ads if it meant that the app was able to run. Maybe you could even have an option to be ad-free.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: app, ant community, contests, polls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users