• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is Brachymyrmex deplis polygynous?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zmagz - Posted November 19 2017 - 7:32 PM

Zmagz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I have two queens and from what I've heard is that they are not polygynous, but from other sources I've read that they are polygynous. Are they polygynous and is it worth it to have the queens together?

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted November 19 2017 - 11:26 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Also don't forget to distinguish between primary polygyny (founds with multiple queens) and secondary polygyny (founds alone but does accept addiional queens at a certain colony size). Solenopsis fugax for example has a strong tendency towards secondary polygyny (multiple queens placed together in a tube will often fight, though not always).

Edited by Serafine, November 19 2017 - 11:26 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 20 2017 - 6:06 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Sort of.  Brachymyrmex is a very overlooked genus, not often studied.  As stated by Brian Fisher and Stefan Cover in their book Ants of North America, Brachymyrmex "[...] exists in a state of taxonomic chaos."  There are currently 3 types of Brachymyrmex in the United States.  The only one that is a definite, distinguishable species is B. patagonicus.  The other two are B. depilis and B. obscurior.  These two are most likely (but not definitely) sibling species clusters. Brachymyrmex depilis is the name that all yellowish Brachymyrmex in the North America is lumped under.  B. obscurior is the term used for any brownish ones.  However, all Brachymyrmex in North America are indeed highly polygynous.  I personally am on the side that believes that B. depilis and obscurior are sibling species clusters.  So if you caught them near each other and are pretty sure they're from the same nest, then sure, go ahead.  But if they were caught far from each other and might be different species from the B. depilis cluster, then don't mix them.  For example, in my earlier years of antkeeping, I caught two depilis group queens and put them together.  They stayed away from each other, and one claimed the water portion and the other inhabited the dry cotton.  It died a few days later due to dehydration. 

The gist of what I am saying is: only mix them if you caught them on the same flight and/or were from the same mother nest.

#4 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 20 2017 - 7:17 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Sort of.  Brachymyrmex is a very overlooked genus, not often studied.  As stated by Brian Fisher and Stefan Cover in their book Ants of North America, Brachymyrmex "[...] exists in a state of taxonomic chaos."  There are currently 3 types of Brachymyrmex in the United States.  The only one that is a definite, distinguishable species is B. patagonicus.  The other two are B. depilis and B. obscurior.  These two are most likely (but not definitely) sibling species clusters. Brachymyrmex depilis is the name that all yellowish Brachymyrmex in the North America is lumped under.  B. obscurior is the term used for any brownish ones.  However, all Brachymyrmex in North America are indeed highly polygynous.  I personally am on the side that believes that B. depilis and obscurior are sibling species clusters.  So if you caught them near each other and are pretty sure they're from the same nest, then sure, go ahead.  But if they were caught far from each other and might be different species from the B. depilis cluster, then don't mix them.  For example, in my earlier years of antkeeping, I caught two depilis group queens and put them together.  They stayed away from each other, and one claimed the water portion and the other inhabited the dry cotton.  It died a few days later due to dehydration. 

The gist of what I am saying is: only mix them if you caught them on the same flight and/or were from the same mother nest.

Hi. I'm going to have to disagree. I had 3 test tubes, one of them had 3 queens, the other ones had 2. Within a few months there was only 1 queen in each of them, after a few days of fighting. I've seen sources that say they are not polygynous, and from experience I am going to have to agree. They were all caught in the same small court, within an hour. I very mc=uch doubt they are polygynous.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users