• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gel Farm... I know, I know...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 13 2021 - 9:58 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

OK first off I KNOW that gel farms are bad.   But from what I see they are only really bad because of the gel.   So I got one as a gift from my nephews and intend to put my thief ants in it after a few modifications, the biggest of which will be removing the gel and replacing it with substrate.   So... Some questions on advice for this... But first, this link is the farm they got me.  

Its um... TINY.  Like it easily fits in your hand, but I love the way it's easily expandable.   Might also try tetramorium in here, we'll see which flights I find first.   

Anyway, removing the gel, I would replace it with substrate.   Would you guys recommend straight up sand, or a mix of mostly sand and soil?   I like the idea of either but... Straight sand is my preference but want to know what the ants prefer.  

I think this could make a really cool setup for tiny ants, and again, it's easily expandable and viewing would be pretty cool.   

Again... I KNOW this is cheap and gel is the devil but my nephews got this for me and I really want to use it.   

Thoughts??? 

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 13 2021 - 10:16 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

The best thing to do is to mimic the substrate that these ants would normally occur.  You can also collect dirt from where the ants were caught, throw it in the oven at 250F for a few hours and let that kill off everything inside it.  

Straight sand will not work.

• NickAnter and cap_backfire like this

#3 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 13 2021 - 12:04 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Kind of glad to hear this.   May do "layers" with THIN layers of sand between decent layers of dirt.  I plan to source them in my own yard so... I have PLENTY of dirt from that biome!  HAHAHAH

I have found many anthills in sand regions in at least two parklands near me, in which I saw no dirt surrounding the nests so I was curious if they could live in straight sand sourced from their area, if that was the case.    

Thanks SO much for the advice.   This makes things much easier, in fact.  

#4 Offline futurebird - Posted July 13 2021 - 12:10 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

How will hydration work? Ants can be adaptable. For me the gap is a bit thick... with small sp. you might not see much. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#5 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 13 2021 - 1:27 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Having layers might not be a great idea.  You typically want homogenous mixtures of soil.  A pure layer of sand will not be supportive and can fall apart easily.

#6 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 13 2021 - 1:35 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I'm thinking like a REALLY thin line, just to get more of a view of how deep they've gone.   Like the thickness of a sheet of paper or something.   VERY thin.  But you're probably right.   

Again, thanks for the advice!  Such a great community.  

#7 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 13 2021 - 2:12 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
For hydration you can poor some plaster at on corner at the bottom. Drill a hole into it and inject water inside the plaster. This will hydrate the substrate without and escapes
  • cap_backfire and futurebird like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#8 Offline ReignofRage - Posted July 13 2021 - 5:57 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Either dirt from about 8-12 inches down will work or a sand/clay mixure. For hydration you can moisten from the top with a syringe or a layer of plaster. For plaster I would try to drill/poke holes in the  bottom of where the gel was and then pour plaster into the space below that, unless that is used for something.

#9 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 13 2021 - 11:28 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I feel any ants would enjoy this

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 14 2021 - 4:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The soil layer will be too wide, though. Thief ants are subterranean by nature, so they would disappear. Tetramorium would outgrow it in two weeks. Sorry to be a downer!
  • TennesseeAnts and cap_backfire like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 14 2021 - 5:02 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

The soil layer will be too wide, though. Thief ants are subterranean by nature, so they would disappear. Tetramorium would outgrow it in two weeks. Sorry to be a downer!

Yea and there are ants like formica or Camponotus that would like it tho. Or Pheidole

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • cap_backfire likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#12 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 14 2021 - 6:48 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

I don't mind not really seeing the Thiefs so much.   The setup still has an outworld to feed them in so I'd see them around, just not in their setup.   Still debating...  Might pick up one fo those red and white formicariums for them as they are very cool for tiny ants.   

#13 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 14 2021 - 6:49 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

For hydration you can poor some plaster at on corner at the bottom. Drill a hole into it and inject water inside the plaster. This will hydrate the substrate without and escapes

LOVE this.  I was wondering how to hydrate well and this is a great idea.   Thanks!   

• AntBoi3030 likes this

#14 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 14 2021 - 7:32 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

LOVE this.  I was wondering how to hydrate well and this is a great idea.   Thanks!
I made a similar setup using this and it worked!
  • cap_backfire likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users