• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Stigmatomma pallipes hypothesis/observation

ant

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 16 2017 - 11:51 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hi!
A few days ago I gave my single S. pallipes queen a few Tetramorium sp. e larvae. After some time alone, the queen decided to take the brood and place it on the wet cotton. To my surprise, she actually "adopted" the larvae! Whenever I disturb her, she picks up a larva and runs around for a bit. Today, I managed to see her actually feeding on the larva in the classic Stigmatomma fashion. The larva ended up getting sucked dry, probably due to the larva's inability to cope with skin puncture like a normal S. pallipes larva. I believe that the queen might be feeding the larvae trophic eggs, because one of them looks a bit larger than before. Perhaps the queen adopted the brood just to provide herself with an easy food source.

Has anyone else observed this before?

Edited by Connectimyrmex, November 17 2017 - 1:02 PM.

• MrILoveTheAnts and ctantkeeper like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#2 Offline Hunter - Posted November 16 2017 - 1:18 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

sounds interesting

#3 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 16 2017 - 4:13 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Thanks

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#4 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted November 16 2017 - 8:04 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Cool really jealous I want stigmatomma so bad...I had a queen but I put it in a small wood formicaria and tried to crawl into a little hole on the floor and got stuck and died...

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 17 2017 - 5:59 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I gave her a termite today and I saw her put the corpse next to the larvae (in the wild, Stigmatomma colonies place larva on their food to let them eat)! Sadly, another larva died overnight (from the normally unobtrusive Stigmatomma blood-sucking cut). Should I continuously supply her with ant larvae to keep her well fed? My Tetramorium colony only had like ten larvae now (I've been feeding the larvae to my Ponera colony as well), so I should probably stop stealing their brood.

I could probably add C. chromaiodes larvae, and I could even add Aphaenogaster larvae (they eat off corpses like Stigmatomma larvae).

Edited by Connectimyrmex, November 17 2017 - 6:01 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#6 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 17 2017 - 9:33 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Theory:

Stigmatomma pallipes foundresses are in fact "thief ants". The young queens build their claustral chambers next to established ant colonies. They then sneak into the nests of other species, such as Camponotus, Lasius, Ponera, etc, using their stinger to subdue attacking workers. They steal a few larvae/eggs from the brood chambers, which they use to feed themselves. They keep those larvae alive for as long as it takes for their own larvae to hatch. They then eat the foreign larvae and rear their own brood normally. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stigmatomma queens and nests always seem to be located near an existing or extinct colony (My first Stigmatomma queen was a dead individual found in an Aphaenogaster picea nest, possibly a failed thief. The next colony was located very close to a Lasius nearcticus nest. My current queen was found a few feet away from an unidentified Formica slave-raider nest). Perhaps they are nesting next to the other ant colonies for protection, but I guess that there is a possibility that my theory is correct.

I guess that my theory could explain why no one has ever had success with founding the species.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, November 17 2017 - 9:34 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted November 17 2017 - 11:10 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Let's not get "theory" and "hypothesis" mixed up here. Theories are tested, proven explanations backed up with experimental evidence; hypotheses are still awaiting the scientific method.

This idea is exciting, but it doesn't comply much with what scientists have documented for Stigmatomma.

Edited by Batspiderfish, November 17 2017 - 11:15 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 17 2017 - 1:01 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Let's not get "theory" and "hypothesis" mixed up here. Theories are tested, proven explanations backed up with experimental evidence; hypotheses are still awaiting the scientific method.

This idea is exciting, but it doesn't comply much with what scientists have documented for Stigmatomma.

True. I changed the title. 

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#9 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted November 17 2017 - 7:46 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Theory:

Stigmatomma pallipes foundresses are in fact "thief ants". The young queens build their claustral chambers next to established ant colonies. They then sneak into the nests of other species, such as Camponotus, Lasius, Ponera, etc, using their stinger to subdue attacking workers. They steal a few larvae/eggs from the brood chambers, which they use to feed themselves. They keep those larvae alive for as long as it takes for their own larvae to hatch. They then eat the foreign larvae and rear their own brood normally. 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stigmatomma queens and nests always seem to be located near an existing or extinct colony (My first Stigmatomma queen was a dead individual found in an Aphaenogaster picea nest, possibly a failed thief. The next colony was located very close to a Lasius nearcticus nest. My current queen was found a few feet away from an unidentified Formica slave-raider nest). Perhaps they are nesting next to the other ant colonies for protection, but I guess that there is a possibility that my theory is correct.

I guess that my theory could explain why no one has ever had success with founding the species.

Sounds like an excellent hypothesis! this would explain their unusual nesting habits (which I have also noticed) and how I have never been able to rear a colony (I had a queen once, but it died very early during the founding stage). The term you are looking for btw is "lestobiotic parasitism". Although I want to believe this, this would need a lot of testing before we could be sure of anything.

Edited by ctantkeeper, November 17 2017 - 7:48 PM.

#10 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted November 18 2017 - 6:10 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
I think that we should try this. I myself am currently hunting for hibernating stigmatomma queens. Once i find some, I have easy access to a lasius sp. nest that's nesting in some rotten wood. However, how do you find stigmatomma queens? I only found one queen and a worker underneath a log and that was pretty much it...

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#11 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 18 2017 - 6:40 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

I just flip a ton of rocks in late fall (this year). That's how I found my queen.

Don't hesitate if you find many winged individuals, this species mates inside of its nest.

I'm thinking about testing this out if I find another Stigmatomma queen. I'll probably connect her tube to my Tetramorium sp.e colony.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, November 18 2017 - 6:41 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#12 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted August 30 2018 - 3:20 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
Although this is old, I would like to further "prove" this point. I introduced 2 small camponotus chromaiodes larvae to my queen and it seems like she accepted them. she crawls over them and grooms them. I have yet to see her feed off of their hemolymph. I will try catching a centipede or spider and see if she will feed those to her brood, but my main concern is if she focuses on caring fir these larvae and forgets to lay eggs later on.
  • Connectimyrmex likes this

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 25 2019 - 8:08 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts