• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Veromesor pergandei anttics

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Coops - Posted December 7 2017 - 3:06 AM

Coops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Going back to the mite situation, most enclosures will have some kind of insect population living there, whether it's mites, isopods, springtails etc. I once housed dwarf white woodlice inside a Lasius Niger colony, and they helped clean. I'm always very cautious if I use substrate nowadays, back in my early years of keeping I used a tropical bioactive substrate as a digging material for a Myrmica Rubra colony, about a week later I noticed small white mites crawling over all the workers, you could see them stressed and agitated, within a week later they were all dead.

Lovely shots by the way! Glad to see she's laying again.

Edited by Coops, December 7 2017 - 3:07 AM.

#42 Offline anttics - Posted December 8 2017 - 8:15 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
agreed. I place any stones, and plaster molds in the freezer for 2 days. before introducing it to the colony. just to be sure. so far all clean no mites at all that I could see.

#43 Offline anttics - Posted December 8 2017 - 8:21 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I tested for how many days she lays eggs, and how far apart from each bacht. so far if she is kept at 89 degrees. she lays eggs. every week sometimes 2 weeks. for a period of 2 to 3 days. still proving theory.

#44 Offline anttics - Posted December 8 2017 - 8:23 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

this batch was not there in the morning. found it after work. Is at the left side of the queen if you soom in. if theory is correct she should lay more on Saturday and maybe Sunday.

#45 Offline anttics - Posted December 8 2017 - 8:27 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I will post pictures Saturday, and Sunday. if she did lay more eggs. temperature in the tube close to heat sources is at 89 where almost developed brood is kept.

Hercules always chills in this hot tube. she is easy to spot.

#46 Offline anttics - Posted December 8 2017 - 8:29 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

this test tube is at 86 to 85 degrees some pupa ready to be transfer to hot tube in a few day. some big larva close.to cotton as well.

#47 Offline anttics - Posted December 8 2017 - 8:32 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
unfortunately I have not being able to record temp in queen test tube which is next to 85 degree test tube. I calculate her tube is from 80 to 84 degrees. last test tube is the coldest only workers chill there for water and food. temp there must be at 80 degrees minimum.

#48 Offline anttics - Posted December 8 2017 - 8:37 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
forgot to add. 85 degree test tube has the original ball of eggs from a few weeks ago. if you soon in. they are next to the cotton. pic not to clear sorry. they look like cilynder eggs soon to be larva. will have more pics of egg ball tomorrow as well with hopefully a bigger new egg ball in the queen tube. ant numbernumbers at 220.

#49 Offline anttics - Posted December 8 2017 - 8:49 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Another note about temperature. it is not constant. sorry I'm not to organized with info. I'm new to anting journals. temperature is not constant. previous readings are at the hottest part of the day. at night it goes down 5 degrees lower at 12pm. and 10 degrees lower around 5am. not sure how colomy would. progress at a constant temp. I'm sure other people has that info.

#50 Offline anttics - Posted December 11 2017 - 9:11 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Important note. Almost kill part of the colony. I finally use an out world with a nest connected with vinyl tube from pet smart.
Ants seemed restless. I knew something was wrong. when the queen came out to the out world. I was looking at the ants carry a cricket. when a huge ants came out of the tube. it got me by surprise. it was the queen followed by majors all around her. i also notice the ants carry 2 dead workers outside.
Call the expert. he told me the tube might killed them if it smells. these species seems extremely affected by odors so be careful. so far only 2 small workers died. the other 218 seem in good health.thx to Nurbs for the heads up. if I had gone to sleep I doubt they will still be alive by the morning.

#51 Offline anttics - Posted December 15 2017 - 1:12 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
Ant problem. so like I said before I tried to change them to a new set up. the vinyl tubing had a strong smell as well as the plastic container. Ants started to die. changed them back to their previous successful set up. they are still dying. 2 or 1 each day. I notice there is always 1 or 3 ants standing on the trash pile. trying to climb up. the next day they are death. they only change I did apart from the new set up is give them Kentucky seeds I bought from Amazon. they were recommended in this forum via link.

#52 Offline anttics - Posted December 15 2017 - 1:16 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
other than that I have no clue what might be killing them. every time I checked them. half the colony is always outside the tubes walking not even trying to climb. with at least 1 or 3 ants always on top of the trash pile. have any of you had this problem.

#53 Offline anttics - Posted December 15 2017 - 1:18 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Edited by anttics, December 15 2017 - 1:42 PM.

#54 Offline anttics - Posted December 15 2017 - 1:21 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
the other theory is that these ants are the first generation and are dying little by little. this colony is 10 months old. Nurbs caught it on February 2017. this species live almost a year. all dyong ants are small the big majors since were born recently are fine doing their thing. queen seems healthy still. laying eggs and brood developing as it should. so far since the move 20 ants kick the bucket. ill take this weekend off to monitor them.

#55 Offline KBant - Posted December 16 2017 - 5:32 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I'm not sure if english is your second language or if you have no care for proper grammar, but please try to form coherent sentences so that it is easier for people to read what you write. 

yeah, also it could be the new element you added into the colony that's killing your ants, the seeds, or they indeed are dying of old age. time will tell. until then perhaps hold off on the kentucky blue seeds.

#56 Offline anttics - Posted December 17 2017 - 1:06 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
it's my second language lol.
No more dead ants thank God. it was the vinyl tubing. it's stench killed them.
I left it in water for 2 days, and let it air out for 1 day. just assemble the last set up in which I expect to hold a few thousands of them. after they reach the thousands I will move them to a 20 gallon tank. they moved in in a matter of 3 hours. all new test tubes. here is a pic.

#57 Offline anttics - Posted December 17 2017 - 1:12 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
it is not fancy. it is super practical. easy to have different temps, and record temp in all parts of the nest. it can hold 8 test tubes. if for any reason I need to change a tube. I just unplug it. then plug new one. drop old test tube in out world and whoala they move with in a hour or so. already done it, and time it.

#58 Offline anttics - Posted December 17 2017 - 1:14 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
the only issue I have is condensation in test tube 2 and 4. other 2 test tubes have none. I might have to change them if the seal is poor.

#59 Offline anttics - Posted December 17 2017 - 1:21 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
hottest part of the nest is kept at 80 degrees. colder part at 70 degrees. is super cold here in the Valley. humidity is around 35 to 40 inside the nest. unfortunately I can not record humidity inside the tubes.

#60 Offline anttics - Posted December 17 2017 - 1:30 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

a few pics of the brood out side by the heat. and a pic of each of the foggy test tubes. I do not like all that condensation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users