• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Am I Hibernating My Colonies Wrong? Please Help!

hibernation

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 14 2017 - 6:27 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So, I've worked up quite the reputation among my teachers for my ant obsession. My Social Studies/Homeroom teacher in particular. He's one of those teachers who comes up with nicknames for his students (for example, a girl in my class dropped a stapler once, and ever since, he's called her "The Rebel"). I have had a few nicknames he's given me in the past. One is "The Tapper", since I drum on the desks a lot. My most recent one is Emm-Ant (since my name is Emmett).

A couple days ago he asked me how my colonies were doing, and I answered that I had just placed them in hibernation a few days prior. He asked if they would survive the hibernation, and I told him that yes, ants hibernate every year in the wild. He then asked how I knew that they would survive, since I've never hibernated ants before, this being my first year and all. That got me thinking, am I hibernating my colonies correctly? I mean, I've never done this before.

So before this, I thought that for hibernation, you just place your ants in a cold place, they fall into a state of sleep where no food is required, and you forget about them until spring. However, when I check on my ants, they are still awake. Slow and lethargic, but awake. Doing more research, some people say the ants need to be fed during this period, some say no. Some say that there is a specific way to hibernate them so that they fall completely asleep. If possible, this is the type of hibernation I'm going for, so that I can focus completely on school.

I am currently hibernating my ants in a refrigerator drawer that's kept around 6.6° celsius (44° fahrenheit). All my colonies are still in test tubes, so I just bundled them together with rubber bands and placed them in. If someone could tell me how to get them into complete diapause, I would appreciate that. 

Please Help!

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 15 2017 - 6:32 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Also, when my colonies get larger and move to formicaria, how will I hibernate them? They won't fit in the fridge anymore.

#3 Offline Hunter - Posted November 15 2017 - 6:39 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

Also, when my colonies get larger and move to formicaria, how will I hibernate them? They won't fit in the fridge anymore.

i dig a hole 2 feet in the ground and put all my ants and formicariums in box then put them in the hole and cover it up

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 15 2017 - 6:46 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

i dig a hole 2 feet in the ground and put all my ants and formicariums in box then put them in the hole and cover it up

Do you cover it back up with dirt. or with a tarp? also, how do you keep wild colonies from getting to them?

#5 Offline Hunter - Posted November 15 2017 - 8:04 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Do you cover it back up with dirt. or with a tarp? also, how do you keep wild colonies from getting to them?

i cover it up with dirt and they are in a sealed box

#6 Offline ultraex2 - Posted November 15 2017 - 8:15 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Sounds like you're on the right track.  Since this is your first year, you will want to check on them often to make sure the temperature is okay but otherwise you should be set.  Make sure they have access to water at all times and that's pretty much it.

#7 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 15 2017 - 9:13 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

What type of box? If it's airtight, how do they get air circulation? And how would you hydrate he nest?

#8 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted November 15 2017 - 9:38 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
I have the same situation as you, but I'm just going to let them take care of it. I don't know if its necessary for them to be completely knocked out but I know that some other ant keepers have their ants in the same lethargic state. In the wild I always find colonies hibernating in this lethargic state as well.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#9 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 15 2017 - 10:02 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Hmmm. My main concern is whether or not I need to feed them. Also, my Formica subsericea colonies don't keep brood over the winter, and if the workers continue to age during hibernation, they might die before they're able to raise the next generation.

#10 Offline Hunter - Posted November 15 2017 - 10:03 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

What type of box? If it's airtight, how do they get air circulation? And how would you hydrate he nest?

it is a cardbord box with vent holes that has a small watertank for hyumidity

#11 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 15 2017 - 2:31 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Hmm. This seems like an interesting hibernation strategy for the future. However, at the moment, my biggest concern is hibernating them right now.

#12 Offline dermy - Posted November 15 2017 - 4:08 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hmmm. My main concern is whether or not I need to feed them. Also, my Formica subsericea colonies don't keep brood over the winter, and if the workers continue to age during hibernation, they might die before they're able to raise the next generation.

Ants do not need food during hibernation. As for workers aging, I'm not too sure. I always loose a few workers [and some small colonies sometimes] during Hibernation, but that's just ant keeping.

#13 Offline MrILoveTheAnts - Posted November 15 2017 - 4:23 PM

MrILoveTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Ants don't technically hibernate because they're not mammals. Diapause is a more appropriate term though everyone knows what you're talking about when we say hibernation regarding ants.

Burying your ants in the ground probably will work. What I don't like about this method though is you have no way of checking on them during the winter. Test tubes dry out and need to be replaced periodically also they sometimes flood because of changing temperatures causing the water to expand through the cotton.

The general method I hear about a lot is to simply take the test tube setups and founding chambers and put them in a container that you then somehow insulate and wrap in plastic, I've heard of people using paper towels, sheets of cardboard to fill out a box. And then this is placed in a garage, shed, or cold basement. You still want some ventilation with this so condensation doesn't come in and drown them.

If your colony has a problem such as not having enough water or food, you need to fix that no matter what time of year it is and the better you're able to monitor this the more likely you're going to catch these problems when they occur. It's fine to take them out of hibernation for a few days just to feed them; temperatures outside fluctuate.

Hibernation/Diapause is more important to some ants than others. I can almost say with confidence any genera in the Myrmicinae subfamily can likely survive without a yearly cold period. Every Pheidole and Solenopsis molesta queen I ever put in the fridge died within minutes. That's not to say they shouldn't go through a cold period as they certainly do it in the wild. But the conditions are not being simulated adequately in the crisper drawer beside the vegetables. (can't comment on the shed or garage container method.) Likely other heat loving species and genera suffer similar effects as the whole subfamily seems to focus on insect scavenging, seeds, and fungus growing instead of carbohydrates and sugars. Maybe just don't give them added heat if you had them on a heat pad or used special lights to do that.

Alternatively, Hibernation/Diapause seems absolutely vital to Formicinae genera. Lasius neoniger queens benefit tremendously from a cold period, often going on to lay egg piles that somehow appear larger than they are. All 100 Formica species in North America don't keep brood in the winter and queens seem to require a cold period of a certain number of hours to know when to start laying again. Camponotus queens enter a deep state of diapause appear to be dead (for unknown reasons) until they come in contact with something damp even though the rest of the colony has come alive again. Prenolepis imparis cease to function at higher temperatures and only lay eggs when it's below a certain temp (likely something below 75F). This whole family in fact specializes on storing plant sugars and aphid secretions, some even forming repletes.

• dermy, noebl1, Martialis and 3 others like this

#14 Offline Hunter - Posted November 15 2017 - 4:24 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

too many words

#15 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 15 2017 - 4:26 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

This sounds like a cool idea, but if I do that, I'd probably have to make a pirate treasure map.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#16 Offline Hunter - Posted November 15 2017 - 4:30 PM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

This sounds like a cool idea, but if I do that, I'd probably have to make a pirate treasure map.

lol I'm sure that there is a easier way

#17 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 15 2017 - 4:35 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

it was a joke, I'd probably be able to mark the burial with a rock (or a gravestone if I'm feeling spooky)

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#18 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 15 2017 - 4:59 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Okay. I was just worried since they were still moving around. I can also place them in a colder part of the fridge if needed.

#19 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted November 15 2017 - 5:16 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

My C. pennsylvanicus colony has been foraging for the two weeks in hibernation. I actually unplugged one of the little tupperware holes to let workers in and out in the garage. Thankfully, the queen can't fit through so there will be no mass moving operations.

They somehow caught a spider and immediately dropped back into hibernation.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi