• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

recipes for ant nectar

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 4 2018 - 7:42 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Clear hummingbird nectar + cricket fat + water = good ant food. My formula works with A. rudis.

I'll have to try this. My Aphaenogaster rudis are quite picky when it comes to sweets.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, February 4 2018 - 7:45 AM.

#22 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 4 2018 - 7:44 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Hi Guys,

looking to see what ppl are using for recipes for ant nectar? i have found most of my ants will consume honey water but could care less about my sugar water mixture. i also have a fussy Aphaenogaster colony that regularly refuses any sugar. protein, protein, protein. :) i guess having no social stomach there is no need  for a sugar diet. i dunno. but any recipes would greatly be appreciated.

currently keeping

aphaenogaster picea

temnothorax sp

tetramorium sp.

http://www.antfinity...ydew-surrogate/

• Diesel and rdurham02 like this

#23 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 4 2018 - 7:57 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

The Aphaenogaster species I had loved Sunburst Ant Nectar.  Unfortunately, it's out of stock until January, 2018.

Can confirm.  My Aphaenogaster picea queen and first nanitic were taking Sunburst before I put them into hibernation.  The first time I fed them Sunburst nectar, using a cotton ball soaked in it, the queen walked over, settled on it, and drank from it for a very long time (several minutes).  

• Diesel likes this

#24 Offline Kevin - Posted February 4 2018 - 8:52 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Try adding a pinch of seasalt to your nectar.

• Diesel and FeedTheAnts like this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#25 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 4 2018 - 9:44 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The Aphaenogaster species I had loved Sunburst Ant Nectar.  Unfortunately, it's out of stock until January, 2018.

Still out of stock. Any idea when it will be available again?

Should be available again in a few weeks.

http://www.formicult...ity/#entry82406

• Diesel and Lazarus like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#26 Offline Serafine - Posted February 4 2018 - 10:14 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

My Camponotus barbaricus absolutely LOVE diluted maple syrup (~30% water), they empty a 4ml Galileo feeder in less than a week (gonna need the 16ml version soon).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users