• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis Ideal Captivity Conditions, Humidifier?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted January 21 2018 - 12:40 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I was just wondering what are the preferred conditions that my Solenopsis Invicta colony would like the best. Now that I am basically starting from scratch with them I want them to explode and grow as fast as possible. People say that this is easy to do especially with Invicta but I have never had the "population explosion" that I have heard of. I know they like wet conditions but since I live in the middle of the desert, it is kinda hard to acquire these conditions. I was wondering if I could use a small humidifier in my ant room to make it more comfortable for them? I have always been afraid to use heating mats because I don't wanna accidentally cook them. I do wet their soil well, in hopes that the little extra moisture will boost them. Any other tips on how to boost this colony?  Yes, I am aware that if I am successful they could reach millions and potentially try to escape. Just so you know if they ever reach an amount I can no longer handle I will not release them, I will freeze them, so please hold back the invicta hate comments.  :yes:

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted January 21 2018 - 3:57 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

If the queen was caught near you, I don't think you would need too much humidity (since you're in a desert). If you're keeping them in a natural setup, keep half of the setup wet and the other half dry. No need to worry about cooking Solenopsis invicta. If they're in a tube, plug it and put the heat pad under the entrance side, this way you can see if they like the heat.

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted January 21 2018 - 4:17 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If the queen was caught near you, I don't think you would need too much humidity (since you're in a desert). If you're keeping them in a natural setup, keep half of the setup wet and the other half dry. No need to worry about cooking Solenopsis invicta. If they're in a tube, plug it and put the heat pad under the entrance side, this way you can see if they like the heat.

Half wet and half dry, already wet the whole thing, I hope it doesn't have a negative effect...

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted January 21 2018 - 4:23 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Half wet and half dry, already wet the whole thing, I hope it doesn't have a negative effect...

I'm sure it won't. Just only keep one side wet from now on. :)

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted January 21 2018 - 6:57 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

One question, she already dug a founding chamber on one side, do I make the dry side on her founding chamber side or the wet on founding chamber side.

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted January 21 2018 - 7:10 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

One question, she already dug a founding chamber on one side, do I make the dry side on her founding chamber side or the wet on founding chamber side.

Make the area she is in slightly moist. Then make the opposite half of the container wet. Continue to only slightly moisturize her area.

#7 Offline AntPhycho - Posted January 21 2018 - 7:16 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Make the area she is in slightly moist. Then make the opposite half of the container wet. Continue to only slightly moisturize her area.

Ok so I have a few water pipettes so just a few drops on her founding chamber?

Ants & Formicaria

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted January 21 2018 - 8:25 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I don't think a humidifier is necessary. Just give them a test tube setup and leave them alone.

Also, aren't you in California? If so, then you probably want to get those ants IDed a second time to make sure they aren't S. invicta. You can't have them in CA, unfortunately.

Spoiler

#9 Offline AntPhycho - Posted January 21 2018 - 8:52 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I don't think a humidifier is necessary. Just give them a test tube setup and leave them alone.

Also, aren't you in California? If so, then you probably want to get those ants IDed a second time to make sure they aren't S. invicta. You can't have them in CA, unfortunately.

She is already moved out of the test tube into the soil of the terrarium setup, I don't want to mess with her now. They are not illegal in all of CA, luckily in my county they do not have them on the blacklisted species,

• drtrmiller and Martialis like this

Ants & Formicaria

#10 Offline Noah Norman - Posted February 4 2018 - 9:08 AM

Noah Norman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
How do you see ants that are blacklisted in a state?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users