• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping Mites Out!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Reevak - Posted November 9 2017 - 2:07 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

So I recently made 2 separate fruit fly cultures so that I did not run out of fruit flies to feed my colonies. Today, however, I noticed that one of the cultures has mites in it. They seem to be only interested in the food that was meant for the flies/larvae, so its not really a big problem (yet). But I would like to know how I could prevent mites from entering my fruit fly cultures (in the future) and (while we're at it) out of my ant colonies formicaria. Would a moat be sufficient enough to do this? Or are there additional ways to further protect my insects?

The larvae (made me really happy to see that my homemade culture was working)

The mites (made me really sad to see that my homemade culture was working for them too)

By the way, I believe/hope only one culture has these things so I put a moat around the other one.

#2 Offline anttics - Posted February 16 2018 - 11:31 AM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
I have found the perfect recipe for fruit flies. it does not mold. it kills most mites. as well as fungus and bacteria. it's called kifer. It used to make yogurt. it's rich in proteins and minerals. it is also ants bacterial. check it out. it will help. you. I will make a post of my recipe this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users