• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jack Pearl's Camponotus Lownei journal

camponotus lownei journal jackpearl

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JackPearl - Posted November 5 2017 - 4:49 PM

JackPearl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
6/11/17

So I caught x6 C.Lownei queens at a school camp in Coolendell, Kangaroo Valley. The weather was very hot, 36* celcius or 90+ Fahrenheit. At night we went to the washroom and we looked under the lights on the roof. Sure enough, we saw Camponotus queens scuttling about looking for a home. We picked them up and I kept them as my friend didn't want them ( he already owns a queen).

These girls are certaintly not the biggest Camponotus species in Australia, but they definetly aren't something to laugh at, the queens are probably 14-15mm long.
Camponotus Lownei are one of my favourite Camponotus species, I love their colouring. Shiny metallic black bodies with yellow or orange legs.

Heres a photo of one when I arrived home.

Since I caught them, one unfortunately died, and five have a range of 1-4 eggs.
I'm fairly sure that these girls don't have very large egg batches and so I'm not expecting much over maybe 10 maximum.

Anyway, I'll update whenever anything interesting occurs, larvae, deaths, more eggs etc. :)
  • Del and Chicken_eater100 like this

#2 Offline JackPearl - Posted November 11 2017 - 10:28 PM

JackPearl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
12/11/17

A quick update!

The lownei are all going great!
They all have larvae (except the dead one obviously) and they are all growing large piles of brood.

Sadly, after talking to some Australian ant keepers, these guys are NOTORIOUSLY slow growers. With workers arriving after maybe 2-4 months...so buckle up, this journal will take a while to get super interesting xD

#3 Offline Penguin - Posted November 12 2017 - 3:27 PM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I see you have six queens in the photo, I cannot tell which one is dead, which one is dead? Did you collect another? They look so nice with their metallic sheen and orange legs.  :)

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#4 Offline JackPearl - Posted November 12 2017 - 3:31 PM

JackPearl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I see you have six queens in the photo, I cannot tell which one is dead, which one is dead? Did you collect another? They look so nice with their metallic sheen and orange legs.  :)

The second queen from the top is dead :/

They sure do look amazing. I can't wait until the workers arrive, but apparently that'll be a while. So I'll update this journal whenever anything big has changed. :)

#5 Offline Penguin - Posted December 5 2017 - 1:11 PM

Penguin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Ah, I see.

Edited by Penguin, December 5 2017 - 1:11 PM.

• JackPearl likes this

I'm here to learn, mostly. 

:hi:

#6 Offline JackPearl - Posted December 9 2017 - 2:55 PM

JackPearl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
10/12/17

Update time!

So a fair bit has happened with these girls. None have died, so we still have 5 and they are all starting to get their first pupae! This was a hell of a lot quicker then I was expecting, and although they have slow growth normally, the extreme heat we've had in Australia has attributed to their lighting fast growth right now. So, I'm expecting within a week for the first workers to arrive, and then I will post a proper update with pictures included.
  • Penguin likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, lownei, journal, jackpearl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users