• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Discord for all ant keepers alike!

discord community server ant help support

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Reevak - Posted November 3 2017 - 10:48 AM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

All information put into that discord will be lost. Questions, pictures, answers, etc. When I go to research the same thing it is going to take me to this or another forum. Like I stated, all chat is useless. Any information put in any of them will be lost. So they are just for fun. Of course they still are good for a quick question, but that frequently can be answered here as well. I won't put great detail in my answers in chat however, because no one else will ever be able to see it.

The chat on formiculture is useless 9 times out of 10 for me. I've literally had my simple questions (probably in January or February) completely ignored. People would talk over my message even though it would've taken only a few seconds to answer me. And these weren't just random people that were new or are no longer active. They were people that have been on this forum and keeping ants for several years. 

#22 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted November 3 2017 - 10:51 AM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
Sgheaton is a savage.

Edited by Chicken_eater100, November 3 2017 - 10:52 AM.

#23 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 3 2017 - 10:52 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

The monkey wants blood!

Edit:
But really even my town does that. Heard of Nextdoor? Its the facebook equivalent for my neighborhood. People NEVER use the search function and there are upteen-thousand of the same posts. It boggles me to no end

Edited by sgheaton, November 3 2017 - 10:54 AM.

• Martialis likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#24 Offline T.C. - Posted November 3 2017 - 10:54 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

All information put into that discord will be lost. Questions, pictures, answers, etc. When I go to research the same thing it is going to take me to this or another forum. Like I stated, all chat is useless. Any information put in any of them will be lost. So they are just for fun. Of course they still are good for a quick question, but that frequently can be answered here as well. I won't put great detail in my answers in chat however, because no one else will ever be able to see it.

The chat on formiculture is useless 9 times out of 10 for me. I've literally had my simple questions (probably in January or February) completely ignored. People would talk over my message even though it would've taken only a few seconds to answer me. And these weren't just random people that were new or are no longer active. They were people that have been on this forum and keeping ants for several years. 

AGAIN, we have the forums for that! Make a post, and you'll get lot of answers. Why do you guys keep trying to degrade out chat? Jesus! This isn't the first time. Our chat is like an off topic discussion area at times.

Edited by T.C., November 3 2017 - 10:58 AM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#25 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 3 2017 - 10:55 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

......Because its fun to ruffle your feathers? You know that.... 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#26 Offline T.C. - Posted November 3 2017 - 10:57 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

......Because its fun to ruffle your feathers? You know that.... 

Ignorance, I will admit ruffles my feathers. :lol:

#27 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 3 2017 - 10:58 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What does this do?

Unfortunately the search doesn't work very well.  It's best to search the forum using Google like so:

site:formiculture.com search query goes here

Drew should find a way to implement Google Site Search into the forum if the search is to be considered a useful way to find things.

That is because most people in the chat room aren't there to answer questions—that's what the forum is for.  The chat room is mostly for cutting up and wasting time.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 3 2017 - 11:00 AM.

• nurbs, LC3 and Chicken_eater100 like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#28 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Shssss.... Don't let that part get out! That's the trick I use to pull up just my posts quickly.

The chat room is mostly for cutting up and wasting time.

110% this, but then again I only come to this site as a distraction from work. 

I'd go to a forum to get a question answered. I'll go to the chat to yell about legos. 

#29 Offline T.C. - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:05 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Shssss.... Don't let that part get out! That's the trick I use to pull up just my posts quickly.

The chat room is mostly for cutting up and wasting time.

110% this, but then again I only come to this site as a distraction from work. 

I'd go to a forum to get a question answered. I'll go to the chat to yell about legos. 

When will I be forgiven about the legos thing?

#30 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:08 AM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
I mostly use the chat room for posting photos of my pets whom no one cares about.

Edited by Chicken_eater100, November 3 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#31 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:11 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

As soon as we forget about this:

• Reacker, dermy and LC3 like this

#32 Offline T.C. - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:12 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

haha, man do I miss the old chat now.

edit: Drew needs his lion back.

Edited by T.C., November 3 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#33 Offline Reevak - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:13 AM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

That is because most people in the chat room aren't there to answer questions—that's what the forum is for.  The chat room is mostly for cutting up and wasting time.

AGAIN, we have the forums for that! Make a post, and you'll get lot of answers. Why do you guys keep trying to degrade out chat? Jesus! This isn't the first time. Our chat is like an off topic discussion area at times.

So we agree that the chat is useless. I don't see why you're getting so mad T.C.

#34 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:14 AM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
"My penis is small." Dspdrew 21st century.

#35 Offline T.C. - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:14 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

So we agree that the chat is useless. I don't see why you're getting so mad T.C.

Yes, all chat is useless. ;)

#36 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:15 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Chat rooms have traditionally been a place for people to socialize.  It sounds like you don't know how chat rooms are used and so you're trying to turn one into a technical support chat for antkeeping, like this is eBay or something.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 3 2017 - 11:15 AM.

• T.C. likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#37 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:18 AM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood

As soon as we forget about this:
What Lego incident?

#38 Offline Reevak - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:19 AM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Chat rooms have traditionally been a place for people to socialize.  It sounds like you don't know how chat rooms are used and so you're trying to turn one into a technical support chat for antkeeping, like this is eBay or something.

I was just saying that when I asked a simple question in the chat in the past, I would be ignored. Just because its usually used to socialize doesn't mean you should ignore a new antkeeper asking a simple question. 

#39 Offline T.C. - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:25 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I was just saying that when I asked a simple question in the chat in the past, I would be ignored. Just because its usually used to socialize doesn't mean you should ignore a new antkeeper asking a simple question. 

What the heck. We aren't 24/7 ant support. We come in chat to enjoy ourselves, not answer your questions on command. I need you to pay attention the following key words....

We have a Forum for that friend! You know this thing you just posted in. You can also get your questions answered here! :o  Yeah, you read that right! Just pick the correct subforum and I promise multiple replies within a few hour period.

No one is saying anything bad about discord. But remember if our chat is useless, (which it is) that makes discord too. Chat is for socialization.

#40 Offline Reevak - Posted November 3 2017 - 11:47 AM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

What the heck. We aren't 24/7 ant support. We come in chat to enjoy ourselves, not answer your questions on command. I need you to pay attention the following key words....

We have a Forum for that friend! You know this thing you just posted in. You can also get your questions answered here! :o  Yeah, you read that right! Just pick the correct subforum and I promise multiple replies within a few hour period.

No one is saying anything bad about discord. But remember if our chat is useless, (which it is) that makes discord too. Chat is for socialization.

You clearly aren't following me. I understand that the forum is better for asking questions because people don't ignore you there. What you don't understand is that my question could have easily been answered with only 5 seconds of typing, but instead it was completely ignored by members of Formiculture that were experienced ant keepers. If you think it is okay to ignore a new ant keeper asking a simple question then fine, but I don't think its okay. It's annoying to be ignored. Also you say that you come to the chat to enjoy yourselves and not answer questions "on command," but it really is not that big of a deal to answer someones question. I wasn't demanding answers, I was seeking help from people I thought could help me. And I was right in thinking they could help me, just wrong in thinking they would. No one even said "Make a post about it" or anything. They just decided not to respond at all.  And if every new antkeeper made a new post about every little thing then the forum could easily become flooded with simple and repetitive questions/posts. And I KNOW about the search feature. I've used it but sometimes you can't find what you are looking for because the questions/information has been worded differently in the past. 

Another thing I would like to mention is that you seem to like saying "no one is insulting Discord" and then insult it right after. This chat being useless does not make the Discord chat useless for one simple reason. Questions are actually answered in the Discord server.

(also from what i have seen, you like to ignore the arguments used by people against what you say, and then respond with something unrelated to their message/argument. I'm going to ask that you don't do that to me. thanks)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: discord, community, server, ant, help, support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users