• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus founding question

camponotus founding test tube test tube setup

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 25 2017 - 1:58 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I'm planning on starting a C. pennsylvanicus colony when their flights roll around this year, but I have a question about founding them. The standard test tubes seem a little small; whenever I put a C. pennsylvanicus queen in, I can see her struggling to turn around. Is this bad? Because I've seen many experienced antkeepers house them in standard test tubes, but I've seen mine struggling. Thanks!

Edited by Mettcollsuss, October 25 2017 - 2:50 AM.

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 25 2017 - 4:09 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Either way I'm still planing on using a THA Devolve Chamber ( https://tarheelants....devolve-chamber).

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 25 2017 - 5:21 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I've ended up releasing several C. pennsylvanicus queens because they looked too cramped in the test tube.

#4 Offline Hunter - Posted October 25 2017 - 5:26 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

hey bud go on this web site and get the 16x125mm test tubes, there super keep its like 2 $ for 25 and 3 for shipping.http://www.lcmlab.co...tm?1=1&CartID=0

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#5 Offline Hunter - Posted October 25 2017 - 5:32 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

hey bud go on this web site and get the 16x125mm test tubes, there super keep its like 2 $ for 25 and 3 for shipping.http://www.lcmlab.co...tm?1=1&CartID=0

cheep not keep

#6 Offline Hunter - Posted October 25 2017 - 5:34 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

also bud if you want a founding chamber send kevin a messege

#7 Offline jdsaunders1390 - Posted October 25 2017 - 2:03 PM

jdsaunders1390

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
I also use the 16x125mm tubes for Camponotus floridanus. (https://www.amazon.c...p?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I had two queens in tubes and one queen in a THA Atom C. The two tubed colonies have grown quicker than the Atom C colony.
The queens seem to have issues turning when I first add them to a tube, but after they get situated, I don’t see them move often.

Edit: formatting

Edited by jdsaunders1390, October 25 2017 - 2:05 PM.

#8 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 25 2017 - 2:19 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

The two tubed colonies have grown quicker than the Atom C colony.

Really? Because on the website it said that the colonies kept in the Devolve Chamber grew faster. I guess I'll have to test it myself.

#9 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 25 2017 - 7:16 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
The small test tube size reminiscizes a small groove or hole inside of a log. I used the small 13 mm diameter ones for one of my C. Chromaiodes qieens, and she did fine, bit much to my surprise she was infertile(and the firste ver queen ant I caught, too...) If you observe some wild queens in logs, you can see that, especially with the larger(pennsylvanicus, chromaoides) queens seem to act as a literal plug for their nest.

Edited by MegaMyrmex, October 26 2017 - 3:41 AM.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#10 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 26 2017 - 9:19 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Try using a plastic tube. The glass in a test tube stays cold and slows down brood growth. Plastics, plasters, and concretes stay warm and encourage quicker brood growth, which is further boosted by a heating cable.

• Mettcollsuss and antaioli like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#11 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 26 2017 - 1:28 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Try using a plastic tube. The glass in a test tube stays cold and slows down brood growth. Plastics, plasters, and concretes stay warm and encourage quicker brood growth, which is further boosted by a heating cable.

I don't use glass test tubes. All mine are plastic, because they're cheaper.

#12 Offline Serafine - Posted October 26 2017 - 3:13 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Just use bigger tubes, 30x200mm is perfect.

zZfBJ16.jpg

At this time they've been in the tube for around 6 months, the water supply still lasted for another 2 months before it ran so low that the cotton collapsed, the tube sort of flooded and the moved to the new nest (no ants or brood were harmed).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#13 Offline VoidElecent - Posted October 26 2017 - 3:29 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

zZfBJ16.jpg

At this time they've been in the tube for around 6 months, the water supply still lasted for another 2 months before it ran so low that the cotton collapsed, the tube sort of flooded and the moved to the new nest (no ants or brood were harmed).

Wow, it looks like they've kept it pretty clean in there. Mine are actually against the whole "hygiene" thing...

#14 Offline Serafine - Posted October 26 2017 - 3:57 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Actually my Solenopsis fugax are just as clean (they've been in their tube for a year now and still have water for probably another 6 months).

The only ants that are kinda messy are my Lasius niger - they think it's a great idea to stick their garbage onto the wet cotton.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#15 Offline VoidElecent - Posted October 26 2017 - 4:01 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Actually my Solenopsis fugax are just as clean (they've been in their tube for a year now and still have water for probably another 6 months).

The only ants that are kinda messy are my Lasius niger - they think it's a great idea to stick their garbage onto the wet cotton.

Ah, that makes sense. Somehow, my colonies manage to smudge the interior of their tubes with (what looks like) dirty white water. This could be a factor of the methylparaben I've added to the water.

#16 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 26 2017 - 4:15 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Yeah, I've noticed some ants are messier than others. My 1 worker C. nearcticus colony's tube is super moldy (yet they continue to refuse to move), while my 20-30 worker Tetramorium colony has barely a spot on the cotton, and a small, contained, trash heap/bathroom area.

#17 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 26 2017 - 4:17 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

zZfBJ16.jpg

What species is that? Looks like C. nearcticus.

#18 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 26 2017 - 4:33 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

That's either C. chromaiodes or another partial red thorax species. C. nearcticus either has a full red thorax or full black thorax. The queens have an elongated abdomen, and they are TINY. Trust me, I've encountered both variants.

C.nearcticus also has shorter legs.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, October 26 2017 - 4:36 PM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#19 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 26 2017 - 4:40 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

That's either C. chromaiodes or another partial red thorax species. C. nearcticus either has a full red thorax or full black thorax. The queens have an elongated abdomen, and they are TINY. Trust me, I've encountered both variants.

C.nearcticus also has shorter legs.

ah. I currently have a small red-and-black C. nearcticus colony, so I tend to think all small red-and-black camponotus are C. nearcticus. Also, I thought C. chromaiodes was a lot larger than that.

#20 Offline Russell - Posted October 26 2017 - 8:08 PM

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationVictoria Canada

I use 16x 150 for most species, but Camponotus I only use 25 x 150mm. The queens can stand much better and water last longer. 

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus/Modus

Tetramorium sp. E

Formica Podzolica

Lasius Alienus

Lasius Niger

Formica Ravida 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, founding, test tube, test tube setup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users