• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dripped too much water into the test tube to get my ants to move...

drown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Derek451 - Posted October 23 2017 - 10:32 PM

Derek451

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Hi everyone,

I am very new (this is my very first post), so I am sorry if this is in the wrong section or however you guys organize this forum

I have only one colony (my first colony). Tetramorium sp e. with only about 20 workers in a small test tube. I have a small outworld filled with sand that I connect the test tube to where I feed them honey and fruit flies.

Problem:

My fruit fly cultures had recently accumulated a ton of predatorial mites in them, and I'm afraid they may have spread to the ants' nest. So I tried to move them. The first time I have ever made my ant colony move was about a month ago, (I had tried many times before but they never budged) I made them move by dripped about two drops of water into their test tube and exposed them to a very bright light. This made them immediately run out and they found and moved into the other test tube completely in about half an hour.

This time, though, I think I put too much water. I have a picture link here, It shows how soaked they are. I am so scared they might drown! there is one sticking to the side of the tube motionless in the picture.  Even if the workers and the queen get out safely (they are STILL not budging!), will all of their brood drown?

I am so scared...

Thank you guys so much

Also do you guys have any tips for whatever I am doing? I am also looking for a better substrate for my outworld (the sand makes the workers keep tripping, and it always takes them a long time to drag the fruit flies home because of the lack of traction) Any substrate products online that you would recommend?

Picture:

https://imgur.com/gallery/DwTMk

#2 Offline GeorgeK - Posted October 24 2017 - 10:38 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

Just clean old test tube and move them back. Also, never use water when trying to move colony, just use bright light to make them move

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 24 2017 - 10:45 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Don't do this to your ants. Your ants know way more about when they should move than we do. Soak up what water you can with a cotton swab, or tilt the tube into a dry cotton plug if there is a lot of water. From there, you'll just have to pray that human meddling won't kill the colony.

• Reacker likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 24 2017 - 4:06 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

If the brood dies, it often isn't too much of a big deal unless you have a social parasitic or inquiline queen. I often pick up the brood with a toothpick and gently place them on a paper towel to get the water off the brood if my tube floods.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes