• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Guys PLEASE READ THIS WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 20 2017 - 7:54 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
I am a huge lover of insects. I saw a documentary about tarantulas when I was young and now I'm hooked. Currently, my favorite insects are mantids(carolina and chinese), ants, and beetles, specifically D. Tityus, L. Elaphus and L. Capreolus, along with O. Eremicola/emerita and C. Nitida. I love them all so much and I would hate to see them gone. Unfortunately, it seems that that's the path were going down on We rely heavily on insects for everything. Many people eat them and they are quite literally feeding us- they pollinate crops and provide is with honey and ant colonies have been known to increase diversity and plant life in its vicinity, and some species even unknowingly plant new plants(Aphaenogaster, maybe pheidole and pogonomyrmex). Plants rely so heavily on bees and others to pollinate them that if they were gone, what would happen to them? Simply, most plants, if not all, would die out.
Flies, dung beetles, and so on contribute much to our health- many see them as vermin and contributors of disease. However, when you think about it, we'd be wading in filth, decay, garbage, and animal waste if it weren't for them. Without them, infectious disease would reign.
What about all the other animals that rely so much on them for food? Many animals(from persinal observation) seem to be awaiting spring, summer, and the beginning of fall since that's when many insects become active. I have seen other ant colonies, birds, fish, and countless others relt heavily on the uprising of grasshoppers and queen ant nuptial flights.
Finally, the insect also provides us with an indirect source of food. Many fish heavily rely on them as food, and in this case I'm talking about trout. They heavily rely on mayflies for food' the larvae and adults. In fact, a type of fishing has been dedicated to imitating mayflies in order to catch them.
So what I am asking you is to please consider what I have just said. Post your opinion(hopefully nothing negative) on this and tell me what you think. But what i am trying tl tell you is to please try and do something- it doesn't have to be big, just start off by feeding that wild ant colony outside or trying to care for wild bees, wasps, and other insects. If you find a wandering queen that you don't want, catch it and dig it a little burrow in the dirt. When hibernation comes, leave small drops of honey or fruit or dead insects so that ants, beetles, and others can fatten up. It doesn't have to be big or small, but just try. Many times I wonder to myself- will insects ecist in a decade or two? Will I ever be able to have the joy in catching another queen or finding a massive D. Tityus at the porch light? Will I ever be able to raise a little mantis hatchling to adulthood? Will I ever hear the chorus of frogs and crickets late at night?
Thank you.
  • ConcordAntman likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#2 Offline Chicken_eater100 - Posted October 20 2017 - 8:10 PM

Chicken_eater100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKS, Leawood
Honestly, people are in some sort of thing where the animals that are more cute are saved. If there was an adult female avic avic and a puppy which one will the people save? They will save the puppy and I'll save both. Nobody cares about insects and spiders cause they have more then 4 legs. I bet anyone would gladly step on the last ant queen or the last yellow jacket queen, if the inflict pain kill it, if the are "ugly" kill it, if they are different, kill it. I probably misinterpreted this tread and now I'm ranting about everyone.
  • Ants_Texas, Ferox_Formicae, Broncos and 2 others like this

#3 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 21 2017 - 5:35 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Honestly, people are in some sort of thing where the animals that are more cute are saved. If there was an adult female avic avic and a puppy which one will the people save? They will save the puppy and I'll save both. Nobody cares about insects and spiders cause they have more then 4 legs. I bet anyone would gladly step on the last ant queen or the last yellow jacket queen, if the inflict pain kill it, if the are "ugly" kill it, if they are different, kill it. I probably misinterpreted this tread and now I'm ranting about everyone.

Well you sorta misinterpreted it. Personally, i'm the kinda guy who finds avics and other tarantulas ADORABLE. However, the main focus of my arguement is that we focus on our wellbeing too much and too much on technology. If we want t improve our wellbeing, we have ti start off with the very little things first.

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#4 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 21 2017 - 7:21 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Well you sorta misinterpreted it. Personally, i'm the kinda guy who finds avics and other tarantulas ADORABLE, and you can't really blame arachnophobes sinc used to be one. However, the main focus of my arguement is that we focus on our wellbeing too much and too much on technology. If we want t improve our wellbeing, we have ti start off with the very little things first.

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 21 2017 - 7:48 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I think he was agreeing with you by saying that some people rather save cute creatures rather than insects.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#6 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted October 21 2017 - 9:16 AM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Well you sorta misinterpreted it. Personally, i'm the kinda guy who finds avics and other tarantulas ADORABLE. However, the main focus of my arguement is that we focus on our wellbeing too much and too much on technology. If we want t improve our wellbeing, we have ti start off with the very little things first.

I found this post interesting and I interpreted as you wanting to protect insects because they are essential to the balance of certain ecosystems. Maybe you can help me out here, but your post does not seem to mention anything about people focus on their own well being and on technology. 

#7 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 21 2017 - 9:31 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
I probably should have clarified better, but what I am saying is that we should try to protect insects since they are very important for us and the environment. My main focus for this post was to inform everybody to try and help save insects, since they are so vital to us all.

Edited by MegaMyrmex, October 21 2017 - 9:38 AM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted October 21 2017 - 5:38 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Sorry, but this topic seems a bit too much like it belongs in sandbox to me.

Spoiler

#9 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 21 2017 - 6:13 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Sorry, but this topic seems a bit too much like it belongs in sandbox to me.

Actually, you're right...can somebody please move it for me?

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 12 2019 - 7:09 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I know this thread is ancient, but nature isn't as fragile as some people seem to believe. Plants wouldn't completely die out if insects disappeared. A lot of flowering plants probably would, but non-vascular plants, like moss, would stay. And seedless vascular plants, like ferns and fungi would remain. It's pretty easy to poke holes in this "climate crisis".
  • Martialis and DDD101DDD like this

#11 Offline Martialis - Posted December 12 2019 - 7:17 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I know this thread is ancient, but nature isn't as fragile as some people seem to believe. Plants wouldn't completely die out if insects disappeared. A lot of flowering plants probably would, but non-vascular plants, like moss, would stay. And seedless vascular plants, like ferns and fungi would remain. It's pretty easy to poke holes in this "climate crisis".

Only 80% of all plants die out, no big deal. :lol:

Many ecosystems would be incredibly adversely effected with the extinction of insects.

• TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this
Spoiler

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 12 2019 - 7:21 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Yes, but it won't be a total melt down of the earth. ;)

#13 Offline Martialis - Posted December 12 2019 - 7:26 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Eh, polar/boreal ecosystems will weather it better. More deciduous ones won't.

Spoiler

#14 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 12 2019 - 1:33 PM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

i think a lot of insects and other arthropods that you are worried about going extinct are not going to. a lot of common insect populations are actually increasing with global warming rather than reducing. there are a few unfortunate exceptions like native pollinators and dragonflies, and those are very sad and i would not want to see those go.

but the fact is the vast majority of insects are not in danger. they are actually thriving.

i also think a lot of the things you suggested people do are reckless and potentially dangerous.

feeding wild animals in general is sort of a stupid idea and not something you want to do. it encourages them to rely on human interaction and can majorly offset ecological balance, as well as reduce their likelihood to survive in the world due to that reliance on human interaction.

making holes in the grounds for queens is probably just a waste of your time, as you have no way of knowing if it is a good place anymore than she does, unless you are a professional in this sort of thing or know a lot about it, like some of the people on this forum.

#15 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 12 2019 - 1:38 PM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

i would also like to point out that frankly, the honeybee situation is due to our own hubris. we put all our eggs in one basket by introducing this invasive pest to the entire world. it out competed everything, and now we are in danger because his one species is in trouble.

if it were not for us, the problem would not even exist in the first place. that said, very smart people are working hard to prevent a huge environmental collapse because of this issue.

if it really concerns you, you can try farming native bees and such. idk about other countries, but in australia it is a legit business and you can get native bee queens sent to you to farm and stuff.

Edited by P0rcelain, December 12 2019 - 1:45 PM.

• gcsnelling and Subverted like this

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 12 2019 - 5:12 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Honeybees create food indirectly. They are so imcredibly effective and have a sweet by product, they were seen as incredible. They are. We simply need to try to help boh native and honey bees by giving them shelter and flowers to pollinate and feed from.
  • ANTdrew likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#17 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 12 2019 - 5:45 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

i would also like to point out that frankly, the honeybee situation is due to our own hubris. we put all our eggs in one basket by introducing this invasive pest to the entire world. it out competed everything, and now we are in danger because his one species is in trouble.

if it were not for us, the problem would not even exist in the first place. that said, very smart people are working hard to prevent a huge environmental collapse because of this issue.

if it really concerns you, you can try farming native bees and such. idk about other countries, but in australia it is a legit business and you can get native bee queens sent to you to farm and stuff.

Honeybees, the stealers of fame. They are invasive. Or at least in the US they are. Bumblebee populations are reaching critical points, as are native bees, feel like we should worry about those more.

• gcsnelling, FSTP and DDD101DDD like this

#18 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 13 2019 - 12:03 AM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Honeybees, the stealers of fame. They are invasive. Or at least in the US they are. Bumblebee populations are reaching critical points, as are native bees, feel like we should worry about those more.

funny, that. bumble bees look so much cuter than honey bees. you would think they would be the ones to get all the press but they do not.

Honeybees create food indirectly. They are so imcredibly effective and have a sweet by product, they were seen as incredible. They are. We simply need to try to help boh native and honey bees by giving them shelter and flowers to pollinate and feed from.

this is true too. although shelters that are built ineffectively can harbour diseases. they also provide shelter for a lot of other insects too, like wasps. not that it is a bad thing.

#19 Offline zantezaint - Posted December 13 2019 - 2:03 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

I'm thinking it is out of our hands. We're all gonna die. Just accept your fate. The animals have done so too. Enjoy the last bit of honey you put in your tea or cereal because it just may be your last.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#20 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 13 2019 - 2:41 AM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

every reason why honey bees have it rough right now is our fault and due to unsustainable practices

that sounds bad and like a sci fi horror story aka 'we were the real monsters all along', but it actually means that it will not continue

because business is for profit

and you cannot make money off of bees if they are all gone

i am  not saying the situation is not dire

i am  just saying i have better hope in humanity than to believe that we will literally just stand and watch like idiots

Edited by P0rcelain, December 13 2019 - 2:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users