• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium burying themselves. Time to hibernate?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline mike.omeg - Posted October 17 2017 - 6:47 AM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Dalles, OR, USA

Sorry for what may be a noob question.  But my Tetramorium sp E are burying and sealing themselves into a corner of their formicarium.  The colony is small: queen and 5 workers plus brood.  I brushed the sand aside and within a day they had rebuilt their shelter.  Is this a sign they need to hibernate?  I was going to put them in a wine cooler Nov 1.  Shall I do so now?  Pics below.  Thanks!

http://www.formicult...ing-themselves/

Edited by mike.omeg, October 17 2017 - 7:09 AM.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted October 17 2017 - 7:15 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

This is normal for small colonies like this, and it likely has nothing at all to do with hibernation. When a colony is small, they generally I guess feel safer in small places. To them that nest is huge, and way too open to be safe. So, they are actually just trying to build a small chamber to hide in. They will continue to do this until the colony is larger. :)

• LC3 and mike.omeg like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users