• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

P. Barbatus - Not eating after move

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline UberDuber - Posted October 16 2017 - 8:44 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice. I've had a Pogonomyrmex Barbatus colony that was flourishing. Queen was captured in July and has grown to about 15 workers and some brood. I had her in a test tube in a Tupperware container but they were filling up the whole test tube so I recently moved them into a dirt ant farm (see picture).

Upon introducing the new formicarium, they immediately moved in and dug a huge tunnel system. But now that they moved in, they haven't left the tunnels at all and are not eating. I'm offering seeds, crickets, sugar water, and a tube of regular water, all of which they ate willingly before but now they aren't touching anything. They are definitely alive though, I can see them in the tunnels chilling and messing around.

I originally thought I might have blocked the tunnel entrance and that's why they couldn't leave. When they dug out the tunnel, they made a big pile that reached to the top of the enclosure and boxed them in, so I vacuumed some of it out and evened the rest out to give them more room to excavate. I think I may have knocked some dirt into the tunnel entrance though because now it's not visible. However, I would think this wouldn't be a problem for them to fix if they needed to get out? Surely they are better at surviving than that.

My other thought is that they hibernated early? I'm keeping the enclosure at about 83 degrees Fahrenheit using a heat cable taped to the back in a zig-zag, which is about the same temp they have always been kept at. I have five other P. Barbatus colonies in similar conditions and none of them have hibernated yet.

Ant farm

Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

#2 Offline UberDuber - Posted October 19 2017 - 8:46 AM

UberDuber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

No guesses?

Keeping P. Barbatus, C. Penn., C. Discolor, and Atta Texana.

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 19 2017 - 8:59 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Solvents or other chemical compounds can depress the nervous system and make the ants lethargic. Low temperatures or humidity levels can similarly inhibit foraging behavior. Forced relocations can be very stressful and sometimes require an acclimation period. Sometimes the ants don't recover, depending on the stresses involved.
  • UberDuber likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users