• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Not for sale anymore

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 12 2017 - 3:26 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
I decided to withold my colony. It is my first ever colony that I managed to obtain of this species, so I am taking it off the market. I hope that not many of you will be too disappinted...
I do, however, have sime tips for catching them-
Look for decaying logs, small ones that are very soft and moist. They should be about 6-7" in diameter and about 1.2 feet long. Simply run the log under some warm water and see if some ants come out. If you see them, vreak the log apart in a bin and try collecting each worker. Investigate each piece of wood thoroughly since they are very small. Good luck to all antkeepers out there!

Edited by MegaMyrmex, October 14 2017 - 6:45 PM.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 13 2017 - 4:53 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

I don't want to buy these, but it's nice that someone finally has a Strumigenys colony. I think that the pricing is way too high, though. Maybe $40 would be more accurate for such a small colony.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 13 2017 - 6:45 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
Yeah maybe you're right...I lowered the price to about $45 or so

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#4 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 13 2017 - 8:08 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
Also, if Neivamyrmex live in MD, I would very much orefer them or trachymyrmex over all others, but they too are all welcome!

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted October 13 2017 - 8:10 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Army ants such as Neiviamyrmex are impossible to keep in captivity.

• gcsnelling and Nathant2131 like this
Spoiler

#6 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 14 2017 - 6:21 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Removed by author 

Edited by Connectimyrmex, October 15 2017 - 4:46 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#7 Offline Martialis - Posted October 14 2017 - 9:56 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

No, they aren't. It's rather unsustainable and immature to drain backyard colonies of their brood to feed a single, captive colony. It's been tried many times with other army ant genera, and I doubt Neivamyrmex will respond any differently to captivity.

There's also the issue of space -- army ant colonies are able to grow to over 200,000 workers in a relatively short period of time.

They also have ergatoid (wingless) queens which are not released en masse like other species in subfamily Formicidae, with new colonies formed through infrequent budding off of parent colonies. 

• gcsnelling and T.C. like this
Spoiler

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 14 2017 - 1:19 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

I know of no one that has successfully kept any of the army ants for more than a very short period of time. This included several museum groups with people that specialize in ants. This is one of those times when the attempt while maybe not irresponsible is certainly not environmentally friendly.

• Martialis and T.C. like this

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted October 14 2017 - 1:48 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

That's a good price.

Also, Neivamyrmex is difficult but possible to keep. They just need lots of ant brood as food(they're perfect for someone with a forest backyard). They also need a large nest. I'm working on a post listing several formicarium ideas for nomadic, stationary, and non-nest building ants.

It's never been successful like Gordon has stated. A child's thread on how to go about it certainly won't make it successful  or increase the chance either. Especially considering you likely have no experience with the species, and surely have never had a "successful" colony of them. It's important to remember where you stand in this hobby, which I am pretty sure is a amatuer hobbyist keeping a few average colonies in your bedroom. Most of us are only hobbyists, and in fact no very little on the subject. Especially when it comes to species such as Neivamyrmex.

• Martialis likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#10 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 14 2017 - 2:32 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

That's a good price.

Also, Neivamyrmex is difficult but possible to keep. They just need lots of ant brood as food(they're perfect for someone with a forest backyard). They also need a large nest. I'm working on a post listing several formicarium ideas for nomadic, stationary, and non-nest building ants.

It's never been successful like Gordon has stated. A child's thread on how to go about it certainly won't make it successful  or increase the chance either. Especially considering you likely have no experience with the species, and surely have never had a "successful" colony of them. It's important to remember where you stand in this hobby, which I am pretty sure is a amatuer hobbyist keeping a few average colonies in your bedroom. Most of us are only hobbyists, and in fact no very little on the subject. Especially when it comes to species such as Neivamyrmex.

T.C.'s right, I admit that I've been keeping ants for only 2 years now :blush:  I think I have been a bit impulsive, so I decided to take them down off the list. However, with regards to Trachymyrmex, I have a pet store nearby AND a rather continuous supply of caterpillar frass in my backyard thanks to a massive oak tree. Hopefully somebody in MD will have a queen or colony that they are willing to trade/sell me.

It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,

#11 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted October 15 2017 - 4:29 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

That's a good price.

That's actually true. I've only kept ants for 3 years, and the first year was really amateur.
I did keep Technomyrmex and a small worker colony of Leptogenys once though. They don't really qualify as true army ants anyway. They are just nomadic.

My parents don't let me keep ants in my bedroom anyway :P

In truth, I'm slightly hurt over your comment, but its fine. I've been hurt both physically and mentally throughout my life, and I know that same goes for you. This is just a form of social media, after all.

That's why I don't have instagram or whatever. I get hurt too easily :)

One comment on this forum is nothing like the Grammar Police on the yuku forum, haha.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, October 15 2017 - 4:50 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#12 Offline T.C. - Posted October 15 2017 - 8:49 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

That's a good price.
That's actually true. I've only kept ants for 3 years, and the first year was really amateur.
I did keep Technomyrmex and a small worker colony of Leptogenys once though. They don't really qualify as true army ants anyway. They are just nomadic.

My parents don't let me keep ants in my bedroom anyway :P
In truth, I'm slightly hurt over your comment, but its fine. I've been hurt both physically and mentally throughout my life, and I know that same goes for you. This is just a form of social media, after all.
That's why I don't have instagram or whatever. I get hurt too easily :)
One comment on this forum is nothing like the Grammar Police on the yuku forum, haha.

Wasn't meant to be offensive. This applies to most on the forum, including myself. We are all just hobbyists.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users