• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What are the laws regarding moving ants across state lines when they are native to that location?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Hunter - Posted October 19 2017 - 6:27 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

its still dumb i don't think leafcutter ants will be invasive eather

#42 Offline Hunter - Posted October 19 2017 - 6:31 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

but i can't have that

#43 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 19 2017 - 8:10 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The law is exclusive to "plant pests." Unless you have the world's first vegetarian snake, the law we speak of in reference to ants does not apply.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#44 Offline Reevak - Posted October 19 2017 - 8:30 AM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

The law is exclusive to "plant pests." Unless you have the world's first vegetarian snake, the law we speak of in reference to ants does not apply.

Are all ants considered plant pests? Also, would aphid tending cause them to be considered plant pests in a sense as they have a symbiotic relationship with a plant pest?

#45 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 19 2017 - 8:41 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The law states a plant pest is any non-human organism that causes or can potentially cause direct or indirect damage or disease to any plant or plant product. The argument against ants with relationships to aphids or other sap-sucking homopterans would be that the ants are protecting the natural plant pest from predators, and therefore playing an indirect role in damaging the plant.
  • gcsnelling, Martialis and CallMeCraven like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#46 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 19 2017 - 9:26 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Leafcutters are invasive in certain parts of Florida. Here in Canada we have "difficulty levels" for invasive potential of a species and therefore the difficulty to obtain a permit for a certain species. First, there's the potential damage caused, and then the possibilty of establishment.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#47 Offline Reevak - Posted October 19 2017 - 10:35 AM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

The law states a plant pest is any non-human organism that causes or can potentially cause direct or indirect damage or disease to any plant or plant product. The argument against ants with relationships to aphids or other sap-sucking homopterans would be that the ants are protecting the natural plant pest from predators, and therefore playing an indirect role in damaging the plant.

Okay thanks for the explaination

#48 Offline Serafine - Posted October 19 2017 - 10:37 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Ok, I don't know if invicta are in Virginia, I don't live there.

Solenopsis invicta has a few bridgeheads in Virginia but could not manage to get a large foothold so far. It's probably only a matter of time though until they overrun that area as well.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#49 Offline gcsnelling - Posted October 19 2017 - 2:26 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Another thing to consider is that sending the ants "brown bagged or boxed" would make it a Lacey act violation.

#50 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 19 2017 - 3:03 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Asides from straight-up crop and property damage, ants are also labeled as plant pests because non-native ant lineages disrupt native ant/seed dispersal relationships and (particularly if they are from Myrmicinae) accelerate the dispersal of non-native plants in exchange. Ants are powerful ecological actors.

• LC3 and Martialis like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#51 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 19 2017 - 4:12 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Another thing to consider is that sending the ants "brown bagged or boxed" would make it a Lacey act violation.

Regulatory enforcement actions such as civil fines and confiscation are the most likely outcome, and even these can easily be appealed, given that the burden of proof falls on the government to prove that sufficient empirical scientific research exists for the Secretary of Agriculture to justify a specific organism that was allegedly transported illegally into interstate commerce falls under the enforcement authority of the USDA by virtue of the PPA statute. Only once that burden is met, along with other factors, can the US criminal code you referenced be considered as a prosecutable offense.

Asides from straight-up crop and property damage, ants are also labeled as plant pests because non-native ant lineages disrupt native ant/seed dispersal relationships and (particularly if they are from Myrmicinae) accelerate the dispersal of non-native plants in exchange. Ants are powerful ecological actors.

It's really difficult to take concerns of ecological alarmists seriously when there's so little research that is relevant to the types of non-invasive, widespread ants most US antkeepers would be happy to trade, if given the chance to do so. The fact that these types of conversations are so broad sweeping and commonly lacking in evidence entirely is even more reason to disregard them as unsubstantiated, sensationalist rhetoric.

Edited by drtrmiller, October 19 2017 - 4:28 PM.

• ultraex2 likes this

#52 Offline Aaron567 - Posted October 19 2017 - 4:36 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Leafcutters are invasive in certain parts of Florida. Here in Canada we have "difficulty levels" for invasive potential of a species and therefore the difficulty to obtain a permit for a certain species. First, there's the potential damage caused, and then the possibilty of establishment.

I've never heard of leacutters being introduced to Florida and I can't find it anywhere, can you link something? I'm really curious 

#53 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 19 2017 - 4:44 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I like what nice little non heated discussion this has turned into :)

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#54 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 19 2017 - 5:54 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

http://rspb.royalsoc...142846.full.pdf

• Martialis likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#55 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 20 2017 - 6:46 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Interesting... where on earth do you find these things, and who spends time making this kind of research paper. Intriguing though. 

Edited by TennesseeAnts, October 20 2017 - 6:47 AM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#56 Offline ultraex2 - Posted October 20 2017 - 8:51 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Not sure how this applies to moving ants across state lin

Not sure how this applies to moving native ants to a place that they're already native in and not planning on releasing them.

All the article is really proving is that M. Rubra (in their tests) moves around seeds more than other types of ants and then tries to go on to say that any ants in general "could be major drivers of ecological change worldwide."

For an article to be relevant in this thread, it would need to prove that an ant species that's native in both states causes more seed dispersal when it's introduced to the other state.

#57 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 20 2017 - 9:50 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You might notice that the conversation has shifted superfluously to the categorization of ants as plant pests, because the answer to this thread was explained in one line, in the first response.

The burden of proof is still on those who wish to change the laws.

Edited by Batspiderfish, October 20 2017 - 9:52 AM.

----

#58 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted November 13 2017 - 4:32 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I agree with the fact that if your ants are regional, then you are ok, State lines are Imaginary, and this so called law probably hasn't been enforced in a very long time if ever to the average ant keeper, as proof would be too costly for law enforcement agencies to want to undergo. The bigger issue would be just to be careful not to release a non-native species outside of its regional area. 

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#59 Offline Bugdaddy - Posted November 20 2017 - 12:38 PM

Bugdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationColorado, United States

You stop at the state line, let her crawl over the state line, then capture her again.

Note: I'm just kidding. Pretty sure that's still illegal

• B2-Bomber-Ants and durant like this

"And it was to my infinite despair and pain... That it was not the hornets that made honey."

#60 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 20 2017 - 1:17 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

"Officer, I'm telling you, that cart full of heroin simply rolled over onto my property!"

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users