• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Leo's Leptogenys colonies =) Update 22/04/19

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Leo - Posted April 16 2018 - 2:21 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

16/04/18

I changed their setups a bit. The larger leptogenys species is most likely leptogenys binghamii colony. The smaller ones A.K.A sp2 are probably Leptogenys kitteli altisquamis.

The Leptogenys kitteli altisquamis are stored in a tupperware container that has a hole filled with wet dead leaves and loose soil. The tupperware is in a much bigger critter keeper box with soil as substrate and some leaves and plants scattered around. The Leptogenys cf binghamii are in a tupperware container with a giant chunk of moss and some plants. I believe what killed the old colonies was lack of moisture. 

#42 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted April 17 2018 - 9:11 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

PICSS!!!

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#43 Offline Leo - Posted April 18 2018 - 3:39 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

18/4/18

a few workers have died from each colony, not VERY concerned though. caught a new species today!

(new sp)

leptogenys binghamii workers

#44 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted April 18 2018 - 6:51 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Thanks!

I can't believe how much Leptogenys diversity there is. I only know one species, which is that one introduced species in Hawaii.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#45 Offline Leo - Posted May 1 2018 - 2:09 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

1/5/18

well, I was at school when da sun shone, which ROASTED the L. binghamii. thankfully, the other sp were ok. The new leptogenys has been identified as leptogenys rufida. The leptogenys kitelli are ok, lots of eggs and brood.

#46 Offline CoolColJ - Posted May 1 2018 - 2:25 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

pics are broken

• AntsBC likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#47 Offline Leo - Posted May 5 2018 - 10:18 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

6/5/18

The leptogenys rufida died after rejecting all the foods I gave them, only once acceping a millipede. The leptogenys kitelli had a rough time after I forgot to water them, 20% of the colony shriveled up and died (hopefully not the queen) they have a few callow workers and some eggs and small larvae. I re-hydrated them and they are acive again. (curiously, a multitude of interesting fauna are begining to appear. from small mites to millipedes and small centipedes and even a small beetle.)

#48 Offline Leo - Posted September 22 2018 - 1:09 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

22/09/18

2 New colonies, 1 nomadic and 1 not. 

species 1 is small and very slender, long petiole and very shiny, colony consists of around 20 workers. These are extremely quick and seem to hunt only on termites and isopods. They are nesting in a large tub of dirt and random stuff (plants, random insects and etc) and live under a chunk of wood. I noticed that they forage alone and tend to dart around, occasionally stopping for a second and poking their heads into gaps in the soil. If they happen to come in contact with an unfortunate wood louse, they run after it like cat-and-mouse before pouncing on it and after a brief tangle, the isopod is subdued and transported back to the nest whilst held under the ant.

species 2 is slightly larger and much more aggressive, also slower. They have rough heads and shiny abdomens. tandem running is observed when moving nests or evacuating brood. They forage in lines and have around 50 workers. Not sure if queen is present. These have a painful sting and move whenever disturbed. unlike species one, they live in bivouacs and favor termites.

#49 Offline neoponera - Posted October 27 2018 - 12:53 PM

neoponera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationnuevoleon mexico

Leptogenys is so awesome.

can you take some videos from the colony?

also i recommend giving them an expansion soon

#50 Offline Leo - Posted April 22 2019 - 2:35 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

22/04/19

Caught a new colony today. 100% caught the queen (because I can see her). Around 150 workers and a large amount of brood. Currently sitting in a small container and making hissy noises.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#51 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 22 2019 - 6:31 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

"Hissy noises"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users